Rebuild of my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roundtree

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is going to be my first attempt of a planted tank. I have chosen some very basic neutral plants. I would like some input on a few things, like fish, lighting and substrate. I have some ideas but, like I said I would love some input.

The plants I have chosen:
-Java Fern
-Java Moss
-Crystalwort
-Onion Plant

As far as fish I want a very colorful, peaceful, and active tank. I would like a moderate to heavy population so nothing to big. I have a few ideas but I would like to hear some opinions and favorites. To get an idea I would looking into Gourami, Betta, and danios. Nothing to specific... yet. The only one specific fish I would like is Glass Catfish for my mid water.

Substrate, to my knowledge most of these plants need driftwood and/or rock to connect to. The Onion Plant, I have found that it needs a rich substrate. This is where I need input, do I use sand, gravel, or some type of mud?

Lighting... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have down some research as far as the photosynthesis needs and lighting needs. But when it comes to which bulbs help the best... I am lost!?!? I was looking at the local store at T8 and T5 bulbs... I honestly do not know what I am looking for!!! What I do know is my set up now, I have two hoods instead of one long hood lamp. They are 24" hoods with florescent bulbs.

Any advice and opinions is very gratefully appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom