Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

recommend a showcase fish to go along with my danios?

I have an 11.5 gallon tank with 8 zebra danios. I'm looking for a single fish to serve as a nice showcase.

I had a balloon molly in there before and it was awesome. They got along well, and the molly was very entertaining. The problem was he developed a swim bladder issue and died before I had the chance to help him.

I also had a fancy guppy in there, but I had to move him because the danios were bullying him.

I'm considering a dwarf gourami, but I've read some info that suggests it will not be a good tank mate with danios.

What are your thoughts on another balloon molly? I've heard conflicting reports on water requirements. Mine seemed fine before the swim bladder issue. My tank is neutral pH, fairly soft water.

Any other cool fish to recommend?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Balloon fish are selectively bred for their genetic deformities. One of those deformities is being more susceptible to disease. Along with the obvious body distortion. Balloon mollies in particular often have scoliosis which causes a spinal deformity hence the "balloon" look because it's pushing their organs outward which extends the belly. I do not endorse buying these fish.

To answer your question though, a honey gourami would look good

Caleb

Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see a problem with a balloon molly. Skip the dwarf gourami, they will quickly contract a disease known as dwarf gourami disease, which will quickly kill it. Sure, go for a molly. As long as the water is good there's nothing against it.
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks guys. I wonder if the honey gourami would be too docile and not be able to compete with the more active danios for food. Also, I'm not sure if it would have enough plants in my tank to be comfortable. I also like to keep my tank really full, so there may be issues with it going for air.

What about a single Platy?

I must admit I'm leaning toward getting another balloon molly. The last one was so entertaining. I hear what Caleb is saying about the problems with selective breeding. There are also certain dog breeds that have inherent health issues due to the selective breeding process. Many balloon mollies live happily for years, so maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFantastic74 View Post
Thanks guys. I wonder if the honey gourami would be too docile and not be able to compete with the more active danios for food. Also, I'm not sure if it would have enough plants in my tank to be comfortable. I also like to keep my tank really full, so there may be issues with it going for air.

What about a single Platy?

I must admit I'm leaning toward getting another balloon molly. The last one was so entertaining. I hear what Caleb is saying about the problems with selective breeding. There are also certain dog breeds that have inherent health issues due to the selective breeding process. Many balloon mollies live happily for years, so maybe I'll get lucky.

It's not problems in selective breeding. People are intentionally breeding these deformed fish that have shorter life spans, various health issues, etc just for the sake of making money, letting go of any form of ethical standards.

Caleb

Tags
danio, danios, fish, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com