red cherry shrimp & danios... Are they compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 6 glolite zebra danios about 1.5 inches long. I was thinking about starting a red cherry shrimp colony in that tank. However, I read at www.petshrimp.com that all fish tend to badger FW shrimp :roll: so they should be kept in a shrimp-only tank. I asked at the LFS and they assured me that zebra danios' mouths are too small to eat them so they won't bother the shrimp.

Anyone with experience for FW shrimp in a fish aquarium? TIA!
:pepsi: :popcorn:

I would say it is a little "iffy" but definately worth trying. Many people keep ghost shrimp with fish and have no problems. Cherry shrimp are a little smaller than ghost shrimp. But the larger cherry shrimp will (most likely) have no problems.

Two possible problems:
1. A breeding colony of expensive shrimp would be great but not possible with fish present.
2. Many online breeders sell their cherry shrimp very small.

First, never trust the LFS trying to sell you something! good job posting the question too . . .

I just got some cherries and was unsure if my fish would eat them. So, I set up a new tank for them, and will introduce their babies to the big tank when (if) they breed. So, you could set up a new tank just for the shrimp, it doesn't really even need to be cycled because the bioload is so little.

But, if you do add them to the danio tank, do it after they've eaten, and turn off the lights. Try to get them to the bottom of the tank as soon as possible, and you will probably be okay! HTH

Back
Top Bottom