red eyed puffer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, so this weekend i had a family friend that told me about a young kid that bought a red eye puffer (at least I'm pretty sure thats what it is)- and he was keeping it in a small generic fish bowl. Luckily i was able to convince him to let me buy it from him, as it looked really sick and i knew that was not a good environment. I brought him home to a 20gal cycled tank that had nothing in it at the moment and i was wondering if anyone had some good information on them. I read the article on them but it wasn't that informative. I attached some pictures to see if you guys can see if it looks healthy- i noticed its tail fin is never expanded (which i see with my fig 8 a lot)- and I'm just not sure if it should be or shouldn't. Any help would be awesome, and feel free to ask questions. thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 81
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 57
I saw your post on the other website. There is a mentor named Corvus who is good at identifying puffers. Its either a Lorteti or Salivator puffer. I can't remember the difference between the two species. I'm guessing its a female Lorteti.. but not 100% sure.

Its normal for the tail to not always fan out.

Found out from Corvus - Carinotetraodon Irrubesco

I was wrong on both of my guesses o_O

Back
Top Bottom