Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Zed
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red freshwater tank worm - Camallanus

Hi all,
This is my first post and wish to thank Shay, Absolutangle04, Trena who have been so helpful in chat with my worries
Some red worm has developed in my tank so I post the picture to seek advice both for my fish as well as personal hygiene issue one should be aware of.
I manage to take a close-up so here it is.
http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/...ren1/fwwom.jpg
Update:
These worms have puzzled me over night. Came to the conclusion that these red worms or Chironomid Larvae What do we know about this - any ideas? danger to fish/humans?
check out the video I've upload on Youtube. The video focuses on the Quarantine tank.
I had moved gravel to this tank only to assume later that the worm may have actually originated from this tank as I hadn't been all that thorough when cleaning the little tank filter I hadn't used from a couple of month.
It is now my assumption that eggs may have be laid in the filter device where it was stored for a couple of months - BE CAREFUL ITS STILL SPRING!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

I've battled the worm that shall not be named a few times and finally found a regime to cure it.

It can stay alive for a few days outside of the host, it's just like any parasite except harder to get rid of.

I haven't heard of cross infection between fish/humans in the research I've done, as long as you take precautions you should be fine. Whenever I was done cleaning an infected tank, I'd wash my hands, forearms and scrub under my nails with anti-bacterial soap. Any equipment that I'd use (like my tongs for planting) would get soaked in a bleach wash then in a bucket of Prime.

AA ToS
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freshwater, freshwater tank, red, tan, tank, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com