Red slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pstuder33

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon, set up about 4 months ago and I'm starting to notice that awful red slime algae on decorations and the glass. I usually feed once a day or every other day. It is a non planted tank. I have a fluval c4 filter with purigen instead of carbon in it.
It's stocked with 15 neons
1 pearl gourmani
1 clown pleco
5 black skirt tetras.

Water:
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
>15ppm nitrate.

I also do 30%-50% weekly or biweekly depending on nitrate levels
Any advice is welcome to try to get rid of the algae before it starts to take over my tank. Thank you everyone

You didn't say how long you leave your lights on. Cut down on light hours, lots of water changes and check your feeding. I know you said you only feed once a day or every other day, but the quantity that you feed is important too. The algae, which I believe is actually a bacteria that masquerades as algae, feeds on nutrients in the water (nitrates) and is also photosynthetic, so needs a lot of light. Since your tank is not a planted tank, lights only need to be on when you are wanting to view the tank, unless it is in a dark basement, or somewhere where there is no natural light.

Lighting is probably the issue, I've been turning it on when I leave for work and not turning it off till bedtime. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom