Red water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sierramcleodw30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed my bettas tank water is turning red. I’m new to the fish world but I’m pretty sure that’s not right. Anybody know what’s it mean?

Attachments

• 7AF4F953-FC10-4101-81E0-E2DD0AB751D5.jpg
    7AF4F953-FC10-4101-81E0-E2DD0AB751D5.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 31
No he’s blue! And everything in it’s blue but we do have a live plant I’m not sure the name but it’s got some red/brown stems but that’s about it

Any driftwood? It can cause water to color.

Is the food kinda red?

What are the water parameters?

Try a few partial water changes.

What size tank is it?

Okay so I have no clue what water parameters are. The food is like just regular fish flakes he wouldn’t eat the pellets so we switched to that. No drift wood and it’s a 5 gallon tank. I’m very very new to the fish world so I’m sorry I’m not too sure

I just bought a filter for it today and changed the water and everything so hopefully it’s not red anymore. My betta has seemed also kinda down and like floating crazy

Attachments

• EE97BFE0-373D-4B3B-89D0-2987485E7946.jpg
    EE97BFE0-373D-4B3B-89D0-2987485E7946.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 28
Read up on the articles I posted earlier.

And NEVER throw out the filter pad, you just rinse in treated tank water (or the cleaner pwc water) because the chlorine kills the beneficial bacteria. The it can't be beneficial anymore.

I just bought a filter for it today and changed the water and everything so hopefully it’s not red anymore. My betta has seemed also kinda down and like floating crazy

Yes, post #6 and 8.

A filter is just the start of getting a cycled tank and growing a beneficial bacteria colony in the filter pad (mostly) to be able to handle fish waste and excess foods between pwc's.

I’m kinda worried about him

Attachments

• BE95E85A-FF50-4DA2-B27F-FC0D6BA02FDA.jpg
    BE95E85A-FF50-4DA2-B27F-FC0D6BA02FDA.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 24
How much water did you change in the last couple days, 10%, half?
Did you read about cycling?
I would change half his water, and then change another 50% right after. Yiu should see him looking better after that.
Always temperature match and dechlorinate the water.

Back
Top Bottom