Removal of a HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asudavew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone!

Love this site!

Great info and great people.

So thanks.

Now another question.

I just moved my fish from my 55 gallon to my 110 gallon.

I did not cycle the 110 but moved over several large rocks and the HOB filter. I also moved an extra "used" filter cartridge from another tank.

I have a new filter system set up on the 110. It consists of a CPR siphon overflow, a 5 gallon bucket filled with media and bio balls (that sits in a 35 gallon rubbermaid) and, of course, the return pump.

So I was thinking.... after a month or two, the new filter system will have a nice colony of bacteria. At which point I plan on removing the HOB filter.

From my understanding of the nitrification cycle, there is only as many bacteria as there is food....

So the new filter system won't house as many bacteria with the HOB filter, as it would without the HOB filter.

So when I remove the HOB Filter, do you think I will see a cycle? Maybe just a mini-cycle?

Well... I think I just solved the problem... I can just add the filter media from the HOB to the 5 gallon bucket..

Duh!

I'll post this anyway... maybe it will be helpful to others.

Thanks

Dave

it shouldnt. just keep a eye out on it. seems like you have a good plan. the more media you have the more spreed out it will be.

Back
Top Bottom