Replacing pleco, and redfin shark feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmaglich

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So...In one of the classic newbie blunders, I bought a pleco when I started my tank, and did so without realizing that it was a common pleco, and would eventually grow into a monster fish. It is currently about 4 inches right now, and I realize that I would rather part with it now then wait for it to gradually outgrow hiding places. My question is, would it be sufficient to add to my present cory stock (3) maybe like 3 more cories, to make it 6 cories, and no pleco? Or should I hunt around and try to find a bristlenose pleco, or one that I know wont grow as much? I have a 29 gallon tank, it is cycled, and is over a month old.

Additionally, I have a few redfinned sharks. They get along fine, and actually like each others presence, so no territorial or personality disputes. They have plenty of caves and hiding spots as well. Ive had them for a week or so, and they look and act healthy. Thing is, I really cant say Ive seen them eat. I see them scrounging for algae a lot, but have yet to see them try to eat pellets, algae wafers, flakes, veggies, etc. My question is, is this normal, or should I try some other food? All advice is appreciated!

I'm not sure what you mean by "sufficient"? Corys are great...like to be in a school so six would make them happy. If you're looking for something to clean algae, however corys aren't it. :)

If you like plecos, a bristlenose or clowns would stay smaller (it sounds like you know that!) :) I've seen both at my LFS. Bristlenose are supposed to be good for eating algae if that's your goal. Clowns eat wood and veggies.

I'll leave the redfinned shark question to someone else as it's been many years since I've had one of them.

Thanks for the response fish n fries. Yea, by sufficient, I meant would adding 3 corys to my current 3 make a stock of 6 sufficient. Ive learned through the grapevine of knowledge that 5-6 is minimum....Anyone else have answers for the red-finned shark?

I just think 6 cories and 3 sharks is going to be an awfully crowded bottom in that tank. A group of 3 cories woul be ok you dont need 6. I would keep an eye on the sharks for aggression as they age.

I can't exactly address your redfinned shark, but I've had my redtail shark for 6 years or so and I rarely see him eat anything (he's huge ... about 5" now). I really wondered what he ate in the beginning because I never saw him eat, he ignored the flakes and everything else I put in the tank.

Now today, I see him graze along the glass and plants every so often and he will definitely eat tubifex (once the other fish break em all loose ... but I hardly ever feed tubifex) ... but in terms of eating stuff I put in the tank, its rare that I see him eat any of it.

I think most sharks are scavengers. I think they might be nocturnal feeders also is a possibility.

I think the best tell-tale sign to be worried or not is, is it swimming right or listless? does it hold its fins up or keep them clamped? also does it look like they haven't been eating (by your opinion on their belly size)?

I wouldn't be too concerned that you haven't seen them eat as long as they are acting healthy and look healthy ... but maybe I am amiss.

my redfin eats flake mostly, he will niddle at shrimp pellets, and frozen bloodworms as well. whatever it is though, it seems to be more likely he will eat it if it is near the bottom of the tank, but not on the bottom.

Yea, mine swims normally, and frolics around the tank like normal, with no visible fin-holding, etc. I see him scrounging around for algae all the time. Maybe I will just buy some sinking shrimp pellets or tubifex and see...But he looks fine, no signs of malnourishment either. Did either of you ever keep more than 1 redfin together and have success? From what Ive seen so far, it hasnt been a problem, and actually appears they like each others company. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom