Review my fish and setup please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashpg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi new to the forum, had a few tanks as a kid, but have recently inherited a Juwel Rio 240 Aquarium off somebody who no longer wanted it. I am fairly happy with the tank setup, filter seems good, good UV lights, a big air stone. Water is super clear and the fish seam very happy.

As I inherited the tank it has come with a number of fish: 2 Odessa Barbs 1 Golden Barb. 1 large yoyo loach 1 Siamese algae eater and 2 freshwater shark (dont know the specific type)

After a bit of research online and speaking to someone at the pet store I added. 6 zebra danio 2 Opaline Gourami, and 2 White Molly.

Everything is going well, all the fish seem to get along, no fin nipping. A few questions on my setup.

The barbs chase each other around the tank and don't bother the other fish, is 3 barbs enough to stop them chasing other fish in the long run?

Can I add additional algae eaters/loach/pleco, what would you recommend given my current population. I'm thinking maybe just two more siamese algae eaters?

I've read that freshwater shark can become big and aggressive over time, at the moment they are around 7/8cm and are very passive towards the other fish.

What further fish would you recommend I get? I am thinking some more mollys, pearl gouramis, leopard danios, and a bottom feeder of some description?

Can I add any invertebrates to the tank, if so what would you recommend.

Hi new to the forum, had a few tanks as a kid, but have recently inherited a Juwel Rio 240 Aquarium off somebody who no longer wanted it. I am fairly happy with the tank setup, filter seems good, good UV lights, a big air stone. Water is super clear and the fish seam very happy.

As I inherited the tank it has come with a number of fish: 2 Odessa Barbs 1 Golden Barb. 1 large yoyo loach 1 Siamese algae eater and 2 freshwater shark (dont know the specific type)

After a bit of research online and speaking to someone at the pet store I added. 6 zebra danio 2 Opaline Gourami, and 2 White Molly.

Everything is going well, all the fish seem to get along, no fin nipping. A few questions on my setup.

The barbs chase each other around the tank and don't bother the other fish, is 3 barbs enough to stop them chasing other fish in the long run?

Can I add additional algae eaters/loach/pleco, what would you recommend given my current population. I'm thinking maybe just two more siamese algae eaters?

I've read that freshwater shark can become big and aggressive over time, at the moment they are around 7/8cm and are very passive towards the other fish.

What further fish would you recommend I get? I am thinking some more mollys, pearl gouramis, leopard danios, and a bottom feeder of some description?

Hi and welcome!

The tank is 240 liters? How long is it?
I would add more barbs, so the aggressive behavior is diluted so not one fish gets picked on all the time. More of each kind with a total of 5-6 per barb kind, would definitely help.(you could do more, that's just a good minimum).

The yoyo loach does best in shoals, so I'd get 3-4 more. However they will eat Snails and Shrimp, as well as small fish.... Maybe you want to rehome him?

Do you have a picture of the shark? If they are Bala (Google for pictures), they will grow huge, and are extremely active and have been known to break aquariums when startled(!), if it's this kind I'd definitely look into rehoming it.

If it's a rainbow or red tailed black shark, they won't tolerate their own kind, and it's best of you kept only 1. They will grow to about 12-15cm, so compatible for your tank, however small fish are at risk (less than 2cm).

I wouldn't mix different Gouramis, they usually don't get along.

You could add a Pleco for sure, or more SAEs. Mollies breed very easily, so you might find fry! Leopard danios will school with the zebras, they are really nice fish. For bottom feeders, Corydoras are my favorite, However with the loach or a red tailed shark, they would not do well as the cories are very peaceful.

A school of tetras would also look pretty, there are lots of kinds!

Great, thanks for the advice!

I believe it is 1.2m but will check exact dimensions tonight. I will also post a picture of the tank setup.

The loach does a great job of eating the algae off the ornaments as does the SAE. Would they be ok with a pleco? If I keep the loach should I avoid invertebrates altogether?

I will get a picture of the sharks tonight, but I don't think they are bala shark. They are silver but have a black stripe along the body, and two horizontal black stripes on the tale. Same as the roseline shark but silver.

Perhaps I will get another Opaline Gourami then so I have three. I will post a picture of each of them too as I'm not sure of the sex, think they are both female.

I will get the leopard danios for sure, perhaps another female molly and some tetra, any particular tetra to look out for. What about Rasbora will they school with the danios?

Do you have sand or gravel substrate? If sand I know there are some bottom feeders such as kuhli loaches that burrow and come out at night. I wouldn't recommend regular kuhlis as they'd probably be eaten but I believe there is a species of kuhli that grows fairly large, around 4 inches or 10cm if I recall correctly. They do well in gravel as well but I think kuhlis prefer mud and sand

Keep calm and rock on

Great, thanks for the advice!

I believe it is 1.2m but will check exact dimensions tonight. I will also post a picture of the tank setup.

The loach does a great job of eating the algae off the ornaments as does the SAE. Would they be ok with a pleco? If I keep the loach should I avoid invertebrates altogether?

I will get a picture of the sharks tonight, but I don't think they are bala shark. They are silver but have a black stripe along the body, and two horizontal black stripes on the tale. Same as the roseline shark but silver.

Perhaps I will get another Opaline Gourami then so I have three. I will post a picture of each of them too as I'm not sure of the sex, think they are both female.

I will get the leopard danios for sure, perhaps another female molly and some tetra, any particular tetra to look out for. What about Rasbora will they school with the danios?

Cool looking forward to seeing your tank!

If you plan on keeping the loach, I would not get any inverts, as they will be eaten. Most plecos are fine, However some get huge! Bristlenose/bushy nose are great they come in several colors.

Another gourami would work well!

I would stay away from the smaller tetras, such as neons, embers, and all the tiny rasboras.

Lemon, Cardinal, Phantom, Skirt, Pristella, and many others work well.

Harlequin Rasboras will work, might be at risk of dinner! I don't think they'll school with the danios, but will school with tetras.

Awesome I'll have a look into that! Any idea of the specific variety? I do have a gravel bottom, it is quite fine gravel though.

Awesome I'll have a look into that! Any idea of the specific variety? I do have a gravel bottom, it is quite fine gravel though.

If referring to kuhlis I believe they're called giant kuhli loach. If the sand is heave they may take to caves wood and plant roots.

Keep calm and rock on

Uploaded some pics onto an album last night. One of the overall tank, and one of the loach. A few questions what type of barb is the golden one? The Opaline Gourami - What sex are these? What type of shark, I actually think they may well be Moenkhausia dichroura or a type of tetra in which case I have nothing to worry about.

Beautiful tank, I love all the real plants!

The barb is definitely a rosy barb, it's probably a special bred type(search for neon rosy barb). It's also probably a male, while the other 2 are females.

Yup they look like scissor tail rasboras!

I posted a link on the picture with the Gouramis about sexing.

So in conclusion, I'd bump up all the schools of the loach(to 4+), rasboras(to 6+), barbs (to 5+)

Just be careful not to overstock! Here is a good advisor, www.aqadvisor.com

Just remember it's only a tool and not always accurate! I stock to 90% max to provide room for error, and in your case you may want to only stock it to 80-85 as the mollies breed easily and you'll probably have fry soon!

Btw if you get more Gouramis get only more females, as males don't get along very well.

I'd up the barbs to six or more each species. Same with the scissor tail rasboras. I'd also get one or two more SAE.

I wouldn't add any more gouramis because the species you have are usually pretty aggressive to other gouramis.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom