ridding of snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Burns

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i just bought some java moss and i'm picking snails out of it already. is there anything i can put this stuff in to kill the snail and not the plant before putting it in the tank?

i have three clown loaches...i just don't want to have snails in the first place.

is the bleach dip just 100%? what do i do?

Those clown loaches will get rid of them fast. They will be a tastey treat. The bleach dip is generally 01 parts water to 1 part bleach, though I think some hardy plants can go 4 to 1. But really you will be doing the loaches a favour by adding them.

How big are your loaches? My smallish loaches will get even the tiniest baby snails before they are large enough to reproduce. I see the loaches dig through my javamoss and hornwort in search of snails constantly.

Bleach dip is actually 19 parts water to one part bleach. And not all plants can handle a bleach dip.

Lime-it will work just fine. In fact if you get some hydrated lime (look in the canning supplies area) and mix it with water and let it sit for a day or so then carefully pour off the liquid you will have DIY Lime-it.

Let the Loaches have their feast. Screw the alternatives. They love snails. And none will be around for long. I can't breed 'em fast enough for my two clownie boys. :twisted:

tkos said:
Those clown loaches will get rid of them fast. They will be a tastey treat. The bleach dip is generally 01 parts water to 1 part bleach, though I think some hardy plants can go 4 to 1. But really you will be doing the loaches a favour by adding them.
SH*T....i took that as 1 to 1....i didn't realize it was a type of 10 to 1.

java moss isn't cheap either. it was only in the solution for two minutes then rinsed thoroughly with water and dechlorinator. it lost a lot of color..it's kind of a light grass green...hopefully it will bounce back. heck, if anything there won't be any snails :(

any chance it will recover?? the place i got it from doesn't sell it cheap, but you get a pretty large amount....i'd rather not have to spend the money again if there is a good chance it can recover. if not, then i guess i have no choice.

pft...screw that. :roll: i'd prefer to stay honest. i messed up and it's my fault...no reason to lie or cheat a good locally owned and operated business out of a product...

Your honesty karma is good, Mr. Burns! It might be a blessing in disguise. I think I recollect hearing that stuff is pretty invasive. But I could be wrong. I don't think it could survive, but you'll never know unless you give it a chance.

no reason to lie or cheat a good locally owned and operated business out of a product...
Go tell the guy at the store and see what he can do for you. You didn't want the snails and then you made a mistake in trying to rid the snails. There's always a chance the guy will be sympathetic and perhaps you'll get a reduced rate on your replacement. Also, while you're there, ask how they recommend getting rid of unwanted snails.

I'm trying to get rid of lots of little annoying snails too. I read that soaking new plants in a solution of potasium permangate for 10 minutes gets rid of the snails on new plants. The local store suggested putting a weekend feeder in the tank, which would attract the snails so I could then remove it, wipe the critters off and repeat until they were gone. I put the weekend feeder in the tank and the snails are completely ignoring it - they prefer to eat my plants. I'd try a loach but I understand they would also eat all my black mollie and guppy fry - and I don't want that either. :cry:

that wasn't the point, though. i don't want ANY snails and i certainly don't want any snail eggs getting into the tank and down into the gravel.

Mr. Burns,

Having a planted tank with no snails is going to be quite a challenge. eggs, baby snails, or full grown snails come in with almost every plant you buy. Supposedly the potassium permangenate will kill off all the snails and eggs, but I've never done it, You have clown loaches, yes? they will keep a tank snail-free, but again, I've never done it.
Snails are not bad for a tank, mine eat no plants, or at the most a tiny nibble here or there. Matter of fact, snails break down leftover fish food and algae into very fine fertilizer for your plants. I believe they are an integral part of a planted tank, but thats JMO.

My question is this: WHY do you not want any snails?

Back
Top Bottom