Rinsing Filter in Tank Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlelouie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm missing something on this topic. If the filter material or floss needs rinsing and you rinse it in the tank water then put the filter back in and switch it on doesn't the debris you just rinsed off the floss now get sucked up and back where it came from - onto the filter floss?

I can't get my head around it - pls help me :roll:

Ooo an easy one (sorta LOL).

If you siphon the water out into a container, as long as that container only has ever had tank water in it (like, if you drain the water into a mop bucket you've used for cleaning the floor I don't recommend this), you can hold the filter in the water and give it a few squeezes OR pour it over the filter (into the sink or something) to rinse it out. Heh, I can see where the confusion comes from; no one ever says rinse it out in water already REMOVED from the tank.

I keep two containers for changing water. One is for water that comes out only. This is the container I use to rinse out my filter, then I pour that lovely water all over my plants and put the filter media back. Then add new water.

Cool... :oops: don't know how I missed the obvious but now that I understand it my plants will love the extra gunge, I already feed them the tank water 1 p/w from the w/c.
Thanks Alli and tkos :D

Back
Top Bottom