RO vs RODI vs Distilled - Please help me choose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartyMA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello Everyone -

It has been just a little over a year since I returned to our hobby after a 20 year hiatus. Even though I am not necessarily a newbie, there has been so much to learn. I want to start keeping fishes that may be a bit more sensitive to water parameters, specifically dwarf apistos and/or discus. My tap water is not terrible - 7.0 pH with a TDS reading of 225ppm. The TDS readings in my tanks are between 330ppm and 510ppm (that one is really off - but the endlers don't seem to suffer at all). Good enough for most fresh water fish since everything I have is thriving. So, presuming I need better water for discus and apistos, which of the three water options is the best or good enough - RO, RODI or distilled? :thanks:

Hello Everyone -

It has been just a little over a year since I returned to our hobby after a 20 year hiatus. Even though I am not necessarily a newbie, there has been so much to learn. I want to start keeping fishes that may be a bit more sensitive to water parameters, specifically dwarf apistos and/or discus. My tap water is not terrible - 7.0 pH with a TDS reading of 225ppm. The TDS readings in my tanks are between 330ppm and 510ppm (that one is really off - but the endlers don't seem to suffer at all). Good enough for most fresh water fish since everything I have is thriving. So, presuming I need better water for discus and apistos, which of the three water options is the best or good enough - RO, RODI or distilled? :thanks:

I've had experience with apistos and they are not very sensitive at all. You are fine with tap water with apistos. I can't speak for discus, although I know people keep them in tap water just fine.

You don't have to worry about the TDS readings of the tanks either, it's always going to be high because of the fish waste, food and anything else you add to the tank and your fish will be fine.

I think my pH was 7.8 when I had an apisto and he did just fine. I'd imagine discus could adapt to different pH's as well as long as you keep your nitrates very low.

With RO or distilled water the water is stripped of everything so you will have to add back some of the minerals necessary for a fw tank.

So, all in aall, I vote for tap water :)

In general, you are good to go with tap for FW tanks. It's only SW tanks that need water that's been stripped to it's bare H2O...

Thanks to all for replying. I am a bit surprised that everyone agrees that my water is okay for apistos. I will stand pat with my tap water.

Thanks to all for replying. I am a bit surprised that everyone agrees that my water is okay for apistos. I will stand pat with my tap water.

Just make sure to treat with Prime or an equivalent. ..obvious I know, just dotting the I's

I've dabbled a breeding Apisto,s on and off for a few years, a pH of 7 is fine for most Apisto,s - you might not get some species to breed at this level, which is a shame as they are like little balls of fury when they are breeding and in full colour, as for Discus - ask the seller what his pH is, I've found it very important to keep Discus like for like with as little a change as possible between moves from tank to tank.
Adding bogwood and dried leafs will drop the tank pH naturally and will add to the overall look of the tank, I've always had either bogwood, dried almond leafs or both in my tanks.

Last edited:
I've dabbled a breeding Apisto,s on and off for a few years, a pH of 7 is fine for most Apisto,s - you might not get some species to breed at this level, which is a shame as they are like little balls of fury when they are breeding and in full colour, as for Discus - ask the seller what his pH is, I've found it very important to keep Discus like for like with as little a change as possible between moves from tank to tank.
Adding bogwood and dried leafs will drop the tank pH naturally and will add to the overall look of the tank, I've always had either bogwood, dried almond leafs or both in my tanks.

The tank is littered with oak leaves and different kinds of driftwood. The pH stays just a shade under 7. The water is tea colored so it has the right look. My API tests for hardness are not believable, however. Every result reads between 50 - 100 ppm even in the tanks where I add crushed coral for extra hardness. Might have to buy new bottles. Anyway, I think I should be okay with the 'apisto' tank. Thanks for the response.

Your water is fine for discus too. Adult domestic discus are more hardy than people give them credit.

Back
Top Bottom