SAE, otos and me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,
In the planted tank forum I found out that my tank has some fuzz algae and may be some brush algae (the more I look at it the more I think it is brush algae)

I read that SAE and ottos are good for cleaning up these algae. You know me, any excuse is good to go buy more fish! Should i head up to the lfs now or do you have other suggestions?

I have to go there anyhow for other stuff, so.. since I'm going to be there.... :twisted: kidding, kidding... this time I'll wait for your advice, my tank is pretty well stocked by now. The 50-55 gal is coming but may be not till the fall.

Thank you!

Otos are great at cleaning up brown algae, but I think only true SAEs eat the fuzz/brush algae. And from what I understand, true SAEs can be hard to find. There are several species of fish that look very similar to SAEs that won't touch the brush algae. I am also going to be looking for some SAEs soon.

I recently added 3 SAE's to my 70 gallon and no longer have algae (fuzz/hair)! These guys are great. As oxymoron said - make sure you get true SAE's and not an imitation.

On a side note - the SAE's are also fun to watch. I have 6 Rummynose Tetra's and the SAE's frequently 'school' with them! It's kinda funny.

yeah, onlne is almost the only way to get them where I am at. but they make really good addition to a tank. Sae's are the way to go (y)

WOW!!!! I got 2 SEA in the weekend and the plants are lready clean!!!!! The only leaves left with algae are the ones floating close to the surface. It looks like the little guys don't like to venture that high up.

They are really amazing!!! But what are they going to eat once all the algae are gone????

I also bought 3 cherry algae eating shrimp very small. I have no idea where they are!!! I hope they didn't get eaten! 8O

By the way I bought them in Big Al's CDN$3.99/each or 3 x 9.99. I didn't want 3 because I'm concerned about too many fish!!! But :twisted: I'm cycling my 10 gal QT tank... just in case..... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom