Salt or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I started my tank, some of the reading I had done on-line suggested using a relatively small amount of salt in the tank (they were saying about 1 tblspn per 5 gallons; and not just for livebearers). The rational they gave was the osmotic pressure. That is, the fluids within the fish have some concentration of salt and other minerals, but the water around them does not. In order to make the concentration equal, water would flow into the fish (osmosis). As a chemist, this seemed to make a lot of sense to me at the time. However, I have since done more reading (especially here on AA) and the consensus seems to be that except for livebearers, the use of salt should be restricted to an ich treatment and only for short periods of time.
I currently have cories, a pleco, black skirt tetras, and dwarf gouramis. From what I have been seeing on this forum, the consensus seems to be that salt should not be used. That being the case, how should I go about making that transition? Should I just not add salt when doing water changes? Should I make the transition even more slowly and add less each time?
Thanks again for your help!

I was also under this impression. When I first set up the tank, the folks at the LFS told me to add the salt. It wasn't until I found AA and did some additional research that I found that the salt was absolutely unnecessary.

I did exactly what you describe...gradually removing the salt during water changes. 5 months afterwards, I haven't encountered any problems whatsoever.

It's a matter of preference. Do you like spending the extra money to add salt? Does adding salt make you feel warm inside? Do your fish like salt with their flakes?

Anyway, I was a promoter for salt, until I ran out of salt and didn't pick any up for a long time. The fish were fine. Do keep some aquarium grade salt around in case you need to treat for ich for nitrite poisoning.

The osmotic gradient thing sounds good except:
1. other things - Ca, HCO3, etc. - all exert osmotic pressure, so to be logical, you really should alter your salt level based on your KH, GH, dissolved organic content ......
2. fish evolved to live in FW - so unless it is sick, should have no problem dealing with whatever gradient that is naturally present.

All this is a long-winded way to say: I don't thing salt is needed unless the fish naturally live in a brackish environment.

BTW - aquarium salt should not alter KH or GH, and not the pH in the amounts used here. <different story when you up it to SW concentration.>

jsoong said:
The osmotic gradient thing sounds good except:
2. fish evolved to live in FW - so unless it is sick, should have no problem dealing with whatever gradient that is naturally present.

It is actually that point that made me start questioning the idea. Especially when considering SW vs. FW. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom