sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

label

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am starting a 55 gal community tank and i was wondering if i could use sand as my substrate. I was also wondering if it is still easy to use the gravel vac on it. and what sand should i use if i am able to.

Definitely. I have had both sand and gravel, and I personally like the sand better. You can still use the gravel vac, just wave/swirl it just above the sand to kick up the detritus. I guess some people use play sand, pool filter sand, sand blasting sand. I have tahitian moon sand that I got from the lfs. There is a pic of my 55 with the moon sand in my gallery.

I use pool filter sand (white) mixed with some black sand from the lfs. The pool filter sand is cheaper than the lfs sand. But with the sand from the lfs, you have more choices.

Sand is a great substrate for all freshwater tanks. I have it in all of mine except the 10 gal and 5 gal (will soon be sanding the 10 gal)

Easier than gravel in my opinion. Garbage sits on the top of the sand instead of getting mixed in, as with gravel. You dont plunge the siphon into the sand, only wave it over the surface above the sand and whatever junk is on the bottom will be gently sucked away. I might get a tiny bit of sand sucked up once in a while, but never enough to even cover the bottom of a bucket.

Back
Top Bottom