Sand or Gravel in 200G Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shakeel.may03

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys! I'm gonna setup new 200G freshwater tank. It's gonna have monsters like Oscars, Giant Gourami, Albino blue line shark. I'm wondering should I put gravel or sand in it. I'll be using 60G sump so sand sucking in filters would not be the issue. I personally like black sand but never tried and using gravel for many years and it always get dirty after months. Will black sand show debris etc? Need recommendations for gravel/sand [emoji1]

Thank you! The tank will be drilled on back tops (left & right) for water in & out. Will it still be able to get it free of debris? What flow rate is recommended? It's a 6ft tank.

Thank you! The tank will be drilled on back tops (left & right) for water in & out. Will it still be able to get it free of debris? What flow rate is recommended? It's a 6ft tank.
I would probably shoot for around 500gph taking into accout loss from head height.

Then supplement that with powerheads to improve circulation

Black sand. Makes the plants and the fish pop!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's cool. I also need suggestions for rimming and bracing. I'm gonna put canopy on. Do I need rimming and bracing the tank? Glass is 12mm and all sides will be tempered..

I'd go with sand. And I'm just going to throw this out there, but you do realize that the Albino blue line shark will eventually require marine conditions, right? I bet that this is going to be a cool tank, and I'm following!

Sure Nils! But it's gonna take time as I'll be making everything on my own and custom made as well. I hope to finish everything by July end..

I would definitely put something over the top edge of the glass to protect it. My experience with tempered glass, although tough as nails in the body. The edges cannot take much of a hit or to much pressure without the glass shattering. I have built and installed lots of decks and railing using tempered glass and have broke the odd one just moving it and setting down on its edge. The edge gets hit and you instantly have a million pieces.

Also I would put at least one brace top center. I have a 4' long 20" tall tank and when full of water the center will bow out 1/2". This was a LFS bought tank and has bean with me for 20 + years. But if I get another I would get one braced across the center. Makes it easy for canopy and lights etc.

Good luck with your build can't wait to see it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The sides of tanks are very rarely made if tempered glass. Instead, its usuallu the bottoms.

Hensleyjk: I'm ordering a pre-drilled one.
Mebbid: Would it be wrong to have all sides tempered? I want it all tempered for more strength instead of only bottom drilled.

Canadiver: I guess you're right. I think I should go for 4 sided brace (top and bottom) and rims all around the tank (top & bottom again).

Hensleyjk: I'm ordering a pre-drilled one.
Mebbid: Would it be wrong to have all sides tempered? I want it all tempered for more strength instead of only bottom drilled.

I don't really see a reason to go out of your way to have it tempered. If things in your house are crazy enough to break a regular tank, then a tempered tank will likely not fare much better.

Back
Top Bottom