Sand with a HOB filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ_117

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just redid my 10gallon, but left the old gravel in there. I want to put Tahitian moon sand in, but I'm using an aquaclear 30 and don't want to destroy the impeller.

The reason why I'm sticking with this filter is because it's from a well established tank and was used to replace the old junky topfin 10 I had originally used. I want to keep pygmy corys, so that's why I'm choosing sand. Would I just be able to get some sponge media and cut it to shape over the filter intake?

What you can do is buy one of the aquaclear sponges and cut a slit deep enough to cover the entire intake screen on the AC30. This is what I did for my AC50 to make it shrimp proof.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what I was thinking of doing, fish wrangler, since the sponge seems fine enough to catch particles of sand.

And I cannot alter the tubing to make it shorter, it comes with two intake tubes (a second one to attach onto the first if your tank is deep). I currently have it on its shortest setup, but it does not reach the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

$5.00
Search amazon for aqua clear pre filter. 3 pack for 5 bucks.
I tried to post the link but it wont work.

+1
Those pre-filters work great! And Amazon is cheapest place for them. I've purchased just one for $5 in the store

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

BTW I have sand in many tanks and as long as you dont seriously stir it up the hob should be fine. I've never had a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom