Sanity Check - Cory Cat Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a cycled 75 gallon I am in the process of stocking. It is currently stocked with 5 Red Eye Tetras and 7 Spotted Corys.

I am planning on upping the Red Eye Tetra School and adding some Flame Tetras.

In my 28 gallon I have some False Julii Corys (4) in my 28 gallon bow front. I was thinking of moving them to the 75 and have 7 Spotted Cories and 7 False Julii Corys. Aside from bioload are there any gotchas I might have missed?

From everything I know about them this should be ok. I just don't think I can fill out their school well enough in the 28 gallon.

Thanks!

I don't see a problem with that. A 75 has more than enough footspace to support the cories and kuhliis.

What sort of substrate do you have? The kuhliis really do best with a sand substrate but other than that I see no issues.

I have PFS in the 75 so I think it will work. Thanks!

Stocking Question

I have a cycled 75 gallon I am in the process of stocking. It is currently stocked with 5 Red Eye Tetras and 7 Spotted Corys.

I am planning on upping the Red Eye Tetra School and adding some Flame Tetras.

In my 28 gallon I have some False Julii Corys (4) in my 28 gallon bow front. I was thinking of moving them to the 75 and have 7 Spotted Cories and 7 False Julii Corys. Aside from bioload are there any gotchas I might have missed?

From everything I know about them this should be ok. I just don't think I can fill out their school well enough in the 28 gallon.

Thanks!

Hello jlb...

The larger the tank, the better. More room for errors in tank management that can happen. The added waste from the new fish is minimal in such a large tank. If you follow a sound tank management routine that includes large, weekly water changes, you'll have no problems. The Corydoras should be fine. Corys are very peaceful. They are sensative to changes in water conditions, so it's pretty important that the chemistries in the two tanks are similar. I've moved Corys between tanks in the past with no problems.

B

I do weekly 50% water changes (extra cleaning too since my diatom bloom YUCK!). The tanks should be similar because the water comes from the same source. pH may vary but I was going to drip acclimate them.

They are missing their barbels so I am tempted to put them in an ISO tank and treat before I move them. Or just changing the substrate will help it. I am still undecided. I have sand in the other tank but I just can't seem to get it clean. At least that is my feeling when I am changing it. It has black spots in it when I rake it up after a week. So I am sure it has dead spots. I am changing the substrate but I also want to give them the right size school which is the reason for the move.

Fingers crossed! Thanks!

Stocking Corydoras

I do weekly 50% water changes (extra cleaning too since my diatom bloom YUCK!). The tanks should be similar because the water comes from the same source. pH may vary but I was going to drip acclimate them.

They are missing their barbels so I am tempted to put them in an ISO tank and treat before I move them. Or just changing the substrate will help it. I am still undecided. I have sand in the other tank but I just can't seem to get it clean. At least that is my feeling when I am changing it. It has black spots in it when I rake it up after a week. So I am sure it has dead spots. I am changing the substrate but I also want to give them the right size school which is the reason for the move.

Fingers crossed! Thanks!

Hello again jlb...

Your choice, but I don't think you need to acclaimate your Corys if you're just moving them from one of your tanks to another one of yours. Like you say, the properties in both tanks should be nearly identical. pH can be an issue with Corys. They prefer a neutral pH and water less than 7 (acidic) could possibly irritate their barbels.

I've never been a fan of using sand. In my humble opinion, it can create voids where toxins can build up and cleaning seems more labor intensive than standard pea sized gravel, which is what I've always used. This substrate is very smooth, easy to clean and my Corys have never had an issue with damaged barbels. In pure water conditions and a healthy diet, your Corys will heal up and the barbels will regrow in a couple of months.

I like to stock one Cory for every 5 gallons of tank size and a minimum of 4 or 5. They seem more comfortable with others, but the other Corys don't necessarily have to be the same species.

Keep us posted.

B

All water parameters are the same except nitrates and temp.

Jana

Back
Top Bottom