Schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to add some more schooling fish to 46 bow front.

Current stock.

1 angel fish
3 swordtails
5 harlequins
3 neons

As you can see I am a little understocked

I'll probably boost my harle's back up to the original number of 10 but I won't be buying any more neons.

I need a school that will not be eaten by my angel and not nip my angel.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My diamond tetras leave my male guppies alone, all fin nipping is between themselves and even that is low key.

Are these on of the peaceful barbs then? I just see barbs and think nasty.

Have a good M/F ratio and you won't encounter any problems. they are very peaceful. I had 5 females and they never bothered anyone.

Caleb

Have a good M/F ratio and you won't encounter any problems. they are very peaceful. I had 5 females and they never bothered anyone.

Caleb

Ok thanks. Two of my swords are orange and my harle's are orange and my angel is yell so I was hoping for some other colours although I do like the cherry barb. What about black skirt tetras?

Ok thanks. Two of my swords are orange and my harle's are orange and my angel is yell so I was hoping for some other colours although I do like the cherry barb. What about black skirt tetras?

I've heard a lot about skirt tetras being nippy. I wouldn't do it with an angel in the tank.

*in my personal experience with black skirts they never bothered anyone other than a bit of chasing each other*

Not to say I didn't get lucky though.

Caleb

Personally i like platy's and they come in a pretty much any color and peaceful

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

A school of angelicus or zebra loaches for the bottom of the tank? Seems like you're pretty heavy in the midwater :) And a botia school is so dynamic and fascinating!

If it were my tank I would definitely look to add some bottom fish of some kind. Of course I prefer loaches but maybe some corydoras?

Are these on of the peaceful barbs then? I just see barbs and think nasty.

Cherry barbs in my experience are incredibly peaceful- just get 4-5 females for every male. I have kept them with practically everything. They are some of my favorite fish.

Last edited:
Have u ever kept cherry barbs with a red tailed black shark?

A school of angelicus or zebra loaches for the bottom of the tank? Seems like you're pretty heavy in the midwater :) And a botia school is so dynamic and fascinating!

If it were my tank I would definitely look to add some bottom fish of some kind. Of course I prefer loaches but maybe some corydoras?

Cherry barbs in my experience are incredibly peaceful- just get 4-5 females for every male. I have kept them with practically everything. They are some of my favorite fish.

Thanks all. I went in yesterday to get some cherry barbs but just held off for a bit longer.

If I do get cherries how many do you think I should get?

I might get some cardinals. Are they ok with Angels?

Thanks all. I went in yesterday to get some cherry barbs but just held off for a bit longer.

For cherries I recommend multiples of 5 or 6. 1 male per 4 or 5 females. Of course you can always get more females.

I keep cardinals, ember tetra and rummy nose with angels. But I did get the angels when they were big like a nickel, so they don't bother them.

Cory Dora are schooling fishes too, but I'm not sure how compatible they are with the rest of your tank.

I keep cardinals, ember tetra and rummy nose with angels. But I did get the angels when they were big like a nickel, so they don't bother them.

Cory Dora are schooling fishes too, but I'm not sure how compatible they are with the rest of your tank.

Corydoras are definitely 100% compatible. We have them with our angelfish :)

Thanks I'm trying to avoid bottom feeders at the moment.

Decisions decision.....:)

Back
Top Bottom