Seachem matrix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As anybody used seachem matrix?? How is it????

I use it.
But I also use it with other bio media such as :
- Marine Pure spheres
- Eheim Substrat Pro
- Aquaclear Bio max
I just couldn't decide which was best, so I used the most popular brands with highest surface area..

Its made my water very healthy and clean. Crystal clean. (have a look in my profile album of tank) Its hard to tell which works best. Normally with bio media, the higher the surface area, the better and more beneficial bacteria can grow in it. So if you go on their websites, you can compare the amount of surface area each has.

Seachem make some pretty good stuff. I really like this brand for lots of things. Along side with eheim. (2 of my favourite brands)
If I was to start a new tank again, I would probably just use either matrix or eheim bio media. Both are fantastic.
Leaning more towards seachem matrix, if anything. When it comes to media and chemicals, they are really good. Eheim more for electricals like filters and air pumps etc etc...

My 2 cents.

So I guess, I am recommending it...

I use it. But I also use it with other bio media such as : - Marine Pure spheres - Eheim Substrat Pro - Aquaclear Bio max I just couldn't decide which was best, so I used the most popular brands with highest surface area.. Its made my water very healthy and clean. Crystal clean. (have a look in my profile album of tank) Its hard to tell which works best. Normally with bio media, the higher the surface area, the better and more beneficial bacteria can grow in it. So if you go on their websites, you can compare the amount of surface area each has. Seachem make some pretty good stuff. I really like this brand for lots of things. Along side with eheim. (2 of my favourite brands) If I was to start a new tank again, I would probably just use either matrix or eheim bio media. Both are fantastic. Leaning more towards seachem matrix, if anything. When it comes to media and chemicals, they are really good. Eheim more for electricals like filters and air pumps etc etc... My 2 cents. So I guess, I am recommending it...

Thank you!!! That's exactly what I was asking for!!!

Others experience with it would be nice!

I use matrix in all my filters. My newer canisters have the pump on the bottom rather than the top, so I've been experimenting with media placement. The canisters are clear, too, which makes for easy observation :)

So far, I am really liking having filter floss first (normally used last) then sponge then a huge amount if matrix. The matrix hasn't needed rinsing in the 3 months or so its been running. The sponge has been rinsed twice (but didn't really need it) and the floss has been thrown out and replaced weekly. So convenient!

I have a aqueon quiet flow 50 that I'm gonna be using matrix in. I'm prolly gonna just use nylons to make my own bags for it. Does anyone else have any better ideas for this???

Is this stuff good for filtration???

Attachments

• image-3120724521.jpg
    image-3120724521.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 69
So long as it hasn't been treated with anything it will be fine. Some are treated with fire retardants and antimicrobals, but they will be clearly marked (and no doubt dearer)

I want to stop using the filter cartridges that come with the aqueon quiet flow bc they have carbon in them. I don't need carbon! Do you have any suggestions on what/where to get something without carbon that would fit my quiet flow???

Hi, recently swapped from the natural rock shaped filter matrix to the cut cylinders with a hole in centre. I managed to line them up so I still have heaps of media jammed in the basket but better flow rates as matrix cylinder holes line up. Getting a clearer tank. Can't remember which brand though.

Hi, recently swapped from the natural rock shaped filter matrix to the cut cylinders with a hole in centre. I managed to line them up so I still have heaps of media jammed in the basket but better flow rates as matrix cylinder holes line up. Getting a clearer tank. Can't remember which brand though.

Trouble is, when the water flows through the hole in the centre of the ceramic noodle, you're not getting maximum benefit from bio filtration.

Slower flow over bio media is the most beneficial. If it is making a big difference to the flow, your filter is probably insufficient for the needs of your tank.

I want to stop using the filter cartridges that come with the aqueon quiet flow bc they have carbon in them. I don't need carbon! Do you have any suggestions on what/where to get something without carbon that would fit my quiet flow???

I don't know that filter. I have a couple of HOBs that I use for purigen and crushed coral, but they are just generic. They have two bays- one on either side of the intake, which I think used to house a carbon cartridge and a sponge behind. I just put the coral in a mesh bag in one side and the purigen pouch in the other.

I'd say it has put the flow rate to initial setup which only had half the bio-media. I've also being looking at articles (advertising?) on not using plastic balls and replacing them with rock media. I'm guessing this will slow down the filter but increase surface area for bacteria. So any thoughts on should a filter have better flow rate or better media surface area? Or stick with the initial setup and not experiment :)

I'd say it has put the flow rate to initial setup which only had half the bio-media. I've also being looking at articles (advertising?) on not using plastic balls and replacing them with rock media. I'm guessing this will slow down the filter but increase surface area for bacteria. So any thoughts on should a filter have better flow rate or better media surface area? Or stick with the initial setup and not experiment :)

I'm all for experimenting! I have a load of plastic balls that came with my canisters. I don't see the value of them really. I replaced them with the noodles to begin with, and have been gradually upgrading them to seachem matrix.
I use a minimum of two filters per tank so I don't need to worry so much about flow.
You want a good turnover to adequately filter (mechanically) and oxygenate the water, whilst also having adequate biological filtration.
Type of setup, live stock and stocking levels will determine what sort of filtration is most important for your tank.
I tend to have 'dirtier' species, so I like to have a lot of biological filtration. I do thorough gravel vacs with water changes twice a week, so the mechanical side of the filtration isn't as important to me. The mechanical filtration for me, is to prevent my biological media becoming clogged and in need of regular cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom