Seeding 120 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, I recently lost my 120 gallon tank due to a leak. Ugh, what a mess, but caught in time before any damage to the house occurred. Had to tear it all down, but things are working out good. Marineland replaced it and I am getting the new one drilled by my local LFS and putting in an Eshoppes r-200 refugium/sump. This is an upgrade from my previous canisters and HOBs. Anyhow, my question is how much media from my other tanks will I need in order to get this new tank recycled quickly? I have fish distributed in many places and want to get the tank functioning fast. So far I have a friend 'seeding a couple mesh bags of Matrix and I have one bag sitting in my 36 gallon. But, its a big tank and any feedback on seeding a tank would be helpful.I have some ceramic rings and dirty pads in a small Marineland canister 220 on another tank too, just not sure that is enough media for this big tank? Thoughts?

It sounds to me like you have enough to start with, depending on your bio-load, but I'm not a cycling pro.

FWIW, I've had good experiences using Tetra Safe Start to basically insta-cycle my tanks. I'd be tempted to throw that in, too, as a backup.

It sounds to me like you have enough to start with, depending on your bio-load, but I'm not a cycling pro.

FWIW, I've had good experiences using Tetra Safe Start to basically insta-cycle my tanks. I'd be tempted to throw that in, too, as a backup.

Thanks much, hopefully it will be enough. I just remembered I have some Seachem stability which I think it similar to Safe Start. Just was worried about packing all the fish back in and having ammonia issues. Some of my fish are at friends house and others are here in other tanks. We will see how it works out. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom