seeding sponge filter in established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbalaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am about 2 weeks away from starting up my 10 gallon Betta tank. Just waiting on building my stand and finding time. I am using a sponge filter in the betta tank and I set it up today in my 20 gallon tank along with the existing hang on the back filters. My goal is that beneficial bacteria will grow on the sponges over the next 2 weeks and when I start the 10 gallon, I will just move over the sponge filter and some extra ceramic rings that are currently sitting inside the hangon backs and lay them on the sponge when moving it over. I am hoping that this will cycle this tank rather quickly by doing this. Am I on the right track thinking this or am I missing something? I am also going to put in a bottle of Safe Start as well. Sand bottom and live plants as well.

If you are letting the sponge seed for 2 weeks and are going to use some ceramic media from an established filter and going to use live plants , then all that should be enough to support one Betta . I would lightly rinse the sponge in tank water before putting in the new tank just so it has better flow . No mater what you do I would check ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates for a week or so after you put Betta in the tank .Good luck .

Back
Top Bottom