setting up a 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dann.yy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone.. I'm a new member to AA. This is my first post but I've been following up on the many threads already posted. Well I'm in the process of cycling a 29 gallon tank and I have a few questions here:

Plans are to have a low to medium light planted tank (don't want to deal with CO2 just yet since I am new to planted tanks). Would a Coralife 50/50 65W work well for a 29 gallon to grow some plants without a CO2 setup?

Also I would like to stock the tank with Bolivian Rams. How many would be fine? I was thinking 2-4. Another fish I had in mind was a clown pleco. Would they get along with one another? Any other suggestions on fish to add to the tank? Thanks!

1st off, Welcome To AA:smilecolros:

I would go for just a pair of Bolivian rams, your 29G is the same footprint of a 20 long, so the surface area is the same. Rams are one of the better cichlids for a community type tank. They should do OK with the pelco.

I would look into something peaceful for the top of the water instead of trying to squeeze in 2 more rams

Plans are to have a low to medium light planted tank (don't want to deal with CO2 just yet since I am new to planted tanks). Would a Coralife 50/50 65W work well for a 29 gallon to grow some plants without a CO2 setup?

With the 50/50 you'll most likely have Low Light and with a daylight bulb you'd have Medium Light bordering on the need for carbon supplementation. I'd probably give it a try to see whether or not the extra carbon is actually necessary. You could always dose a little bit of Flourish Excel if needed and you don't have Anacharis or Vals.

Yeah, a pair of bolivians sounds good. Hopefully I get a male and a female! Maybe fill the top of the water with cardinal tetras? idk... open to any more suggestions!

Glad to hear a 50/50 would work... I hear the light would give a blue color and that some people don't really like it. Right now I don't think I would mind the blue... but maybe I might think different when I actually see it. Any specific daylight bulbs you recommend? I think the fixture I want requires that the length be 21"

I think a couple places have a 6700K bulb for those type lights, that would be your best bet for plants

Back
Top Bottom