Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Severum & Crayfish compatibility issues?

Hello everyone!

I recently had a big change in my tanks. I had a few schools of tetras and barbs in my 55g tank but I moved them elsewhere. In place of them, I picked up a gold Severum (roughly 4-5 inches) and a big crayfish from my LFS. This store has always given me quality advice and fish, and they told me these two would be compatible given the Severum's gentle nature. I've noticed, however, that my crayfish has been hiding in one of my rock/driftwood structures. At first I thought nothing of it since the fish are new, but last night the crayfish left the cave to venture to the side of the tank the Severum enjoys, and it got up in its face and they had a stare off until the Severum pushed the crayfish back with its head a few times until the crayfish retreated back to the cave. The Severum has also been hiding in a different rock cave on his side of the tank but I assume he's just shy with the new environment.

Given that info, my question is this: Should I be concerned these two won't be good tankmates? The Severum has only pursued the crayfish once that I've seen. He's had opportunities before when the crayfish was poking out of its cave but he's only been aggressive with it that one time. I also don't understand how it could possibly be a territory issue since the fish have only been here for a few days. I've never heard of crayfish being shy before, so if this is a case of bullying then I will have to consider taking one of the two back. I wanted to add another crayfish down the line but I won't consider it until this is resolved.

Thanks for your time.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sev will try and eat the cray and they may both die. One will for sure.

Old 12-25-2019, 02:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The crayfish is far too big to be eaten though. Also, the severum has not pursued the crayfish to eat it once. He's eaten flakes right next to the crayfish and then went on his way. So long as the crayfish doesn't move to his side of the tank.

Tags
compatibility, crayfish, fish, fish compatibility, ray, severum

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com