Sexing Albino Corydoras [pictures & questions]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyfishlady

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would I be correct in assuming this is a female?
img_969558_0_b1eb32f1e11c02de90866aac174f8f50.jpg

And that this is the dominant male?
img_969558_1_8302d23b623110aec76d187667a31010.jpg

Presumably the female on left and dominant male on right.
img_969558_2_1a5cadb6dca7d5180e60ddf3adf7af33.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe these are both males with the dominant male on the left.
img_969558_3_d24d2a48cbd4541c57bcf6dac1da5458.jpg

Male in front, dominant male in middle, and female in back.
img_969558_4_d59649c4bbe52eaa86b3417e9ddc46db.jpg

The females also seem to be much lighter than the males. It seems the males are almost a yellow color. I did get the males from another pet shop it could just be another variety of the albino corydora, I'm not sure. The males bodies seem to be more rigid and the females are more round and smooth looking. I have done some research and looked at this site (How to breed corydoras catfish with pictures) but, I haven't seen any mature male albino cory's. Any suggestions would be greaty appreciated, thank you.

Yeah...you've done your research well. The females are more round than the males. It is better to look down on the females through the top of the water and they should have more of a barrel shape than the males, so these pictures are hard to tell. But, I think you're right, and you have two males and a female. I am pretty sure I only have two females left at this point, as they are very round and barrel shaped, lol. :)

It seeems your assessments are correct, if they are all the same species. The alibino version of C. paleatus is what the males are as demonstrated by the tall dorsal. this is the same as the regularly coloured paleatus. C. aenaus which also comes in albino form does not have the tall dorsal fin in the male. So, if they came from different stores you may or may not have 2 different species. There seems to be a significant difference in the profiles of the male and "females" which makes me wonder.

Back
Top Bottom