Sexing my molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooleo589

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there!

So i have had my molly for quite some time now and i cannot figure out if it is a boy or a girl! I have one that i know is female and i had a male so i know about the anal fin thing but i cant tell with this one. I can get a good picture so i thought id try to describe it. Its fin doesnt fan out like a females but it doesnt stick straight like a males either. When all its fins are up the anal fin goes out also. So it doesnt stay like a males but def isnt fan shaped like a female. Help would be greatly appreciated! I can try to get pics if it would help.

Its fin doesnt fan out like a females but it doesnt stick straight like a males either. When all its fins are up the anal fin goes out also. So it doesnt stay like a males but def isnt fan shaped like a female. Help would be greatly appreciated! I can try to get pics if it would help.

Does it have a gonopodium?
black-molly-male.jpg

if not I would suspect its a female. The dorsal fin of some strains can help indicate since the males have one that is larger.

Give it time and it may mature more to distinguish

Fish?are?friends?not?food

I've heard females would try to sexchange but lol idk

I've had green swordtails transition from male to female and the other way around. These were no fry but young adult specimens. I know, not the same as mollies but livebearers nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can't swords breed with mollies on accident?

I've had male mollies that would try to breed with anything with fins.
Idk. Maybe. I think I've heard of guppy - Molly pairings. To me it sounds like there would be problems down the road with the offspring.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is the only picture I could find that looked anything like this fishes. But mine is a bit more pointed but hangs down like that. Not as pointed as a male though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424744480735.jpg
    1424744480735.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 778
Yea definitely. Also if you are planning on getting Molly's swords and guppies and stuff examine them for deformity and stuff cus a lot are inbred

So it's just kind of a mix?

Just give it some time bro, see what happens in a month

Okay :)

Back
Top Bottom