Shipment of plants with fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the chances that the plants I bought from Singapore could have fish with them? The the plants were packaged simply in some plastic w/o any water...well enough to keep them moist.

After I placed the plants in my tank, I noticed that a few fry were congregating around them. They can't be more than a few mm in length. I guess there is a possibility that my zebra danios have been breeding, but I've only had them for about a week. The fry are in the only part of my river tank that I placed the plants.

Edit: I thought that I would add this to explain why I don't think that it was my zebra danios who had babies. Since it is a river tank system, I have several pumps hooked up to feed water to the various sections of my tank. The water pump in the section of where my danios are is broken. So there isn't any water being pumped into the section where my these new fry are found.

I could see an outside chance of eggs laid on the plants surviving. They'd be a lot more likely to be packaged, and I think they might have a better chance of surviving a limited water situation. I've heard of fish coming in with live rock, but I'd guess you'll probably find it's a strange spawning in your tank.

I hope it's something rare and cool that will work in your tanks (read: not snakeheads).

I've heard of people taking down there tanks, leaving the gravel in it, putting the tanks up fo ra couple months, then fill it back up with water and finding small fish like guppies that have survived in the gravel from the moisture..anything is possible lol

I'm attempting to take the fry out of the tank and place them in my nano tank for the time being. Once I get a new pump, the zebra danios will be able to use the waterfall as way to 'jump' into the section where the fry are located and then the babies will be danio food. But how do you capture fry? The mesh for my net is too large and they will just fall through.

I've used a cup before, but it's pretty difficult. Small fish are surprisingly fast... and I've had it happen before that while I was trying to catch a small fish, it swam out into the open and got eaten.... I don't really know of an ideal way to go about it though.

Back
Top Bottom