Should I get a Nitrate test?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lmacbeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Test Kit which has tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, Ph levels, and Hardness but I've just realised there is none for Nitrate.

My Ammonia and Nitrite Levels were both 0 before I added any fish to the tank (week and a half ago) and I have been checking them almost every other day since. They have remained at 0.
I did a partial water change after a week also, just to be on the safe side.

Should I get a Nitrate test? Or will the Ammonia and Nitrite tests be a good enough indicator of any problems?

I would say not to get a nitrate test. As long as you do weekly water changes, than your nitrate level should never reach toxic levels.

Keep in mind that you must do water changes weekly (bi-weekly at a minimum!!) in order to keep the nitrate in check.

bi-weekly? Even when there is a power filter... ? (Fluval 2 filter & 10g tank)
I didn't realise this!

I suppose if you were keeping live plants you could get a nitrate/NO3, Phosphate/PO4, and iron/Fe, But I would say if you don't have live plants you don't need it. Go with Biggens advice.
Chris.

bi-weekly? Even when there is a power filter

Absolutely. I do 10% water changes every week. Have both a 40 gallon and 29 gallon. Without these water changes, the nitrate level would, over time, get toxic to the fish...

Live plants will help keep nitrate levels low, but they still shouldn't be used as an "out" for not changing the water.

After 4 weeks my tank cycling completed. All three ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are at 0. I check and add iron for my live plants.

This may be pretty basic, but can I skip my water changes as long as these readings remain at 0. I have Green-X in my tank to get rid of any phosphates (They are at 0 as well).

but can I skip my water changes as long as these readings remain at 0.

If nothing else were taken into consideration than, in theory, as long as these levels are at zero, than yes you could skip the changes. However, water changes do more than remove toxic chemicals. They also replenish the water with trace elements the plants need to survive.

Also, only the heaviest planted tanks would have a nitrate level of 0 after the cycle has completed. Even then, I doubt the plants could use every bit of it. One would need a denitrification system to handle the excess nitrate which is typically out of the realm of normal FW aquaria...

thank you for asking this question. i was wondering the same thing, as my kit doesn't test for nitrates either. my tank is almost finishing cycling- the nitrItes are finally going down. is it safe to assume that when my nitrItes register at 0, then my tank is done cycling? and i don't have to check my nitrAte levels as long as i do weekly water changes? i am buying so much stuff for my tanks that it comes as a relief that i don't have to buy a kit just for nitrates. my tank isn't planted, though (at least not yet), so is it still ok for me not to test for nitrates?

Biggen thanks for your reply, the reason I posted the question was that I could not believe the results myself. The nitrates have been below traceable limits for more than 10 days since my water change. Here are tank parameters. My plants are almost doubling in size every week after the completion of the cycle.

Tank: 72 Gallon BowFront (with 40 Watts Full Spectrum Strip Light)
Fish: (6 Gold Gouramis, 2 Lyretail Swordtail, 2 Platys, 3 Bettas (1 Male and 2 Females), 4 Neon Tetras & a Pleco), approximate fish size in inches is 25.
Filter: Fluval 404
Heater: 300 W (Maintains Temp at 78 deg F).
Substrate: Gravel
CO2: DIY CO2.
Sunlight: difussed sunlight through Sheers from 2 - 66 X 66 Inch Windows.
Plants: 4 Fast Growing Plants and 2 Slow Growers.
Additives: Stress Coat, Leaf Zone, Green-X

May be this gives more insight into what is happening in my tank. Can someone explain why my nitrates are always at 0 since cycling.

Can someone explain why my nitrates are always at 0 since cycling.

It is possible that your plants are using up all the nitrate in the tank. Your tank is also understocked according to your fish listing. I bet once you begin introducing more fish into that aquarium, your nitrate will evenutally rise as more and more nitrite becomes present in the tank.

God I'm stupid.... I got it into my head that bi-weekly water changes meant twice a week instead of every two weeks!!! :roll:
That's why I thought it was a bit much... I generally do a small water change every week.

I'm off on hols for 2 weeks soon though so I hope everything will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom