Should I get a powerhead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,
I have a 55gallon tank that is stocked with some rainbow fish, one angel, serpae tetras, and 2 bristlenose plecos. I am going to be getting 8 panda corys and two reticulated hillstream loaches tomorrow and was wondering if i should get a powerhead. Right now i have 2 filters on my tank, one on each side. These are the filter I have the one rated for 90 gallons and the one rated for 30-45 gallons.
Aqueon QuietFlow Aquarium Power Filters at PETCO

i am wondering if i need to get a powerhead for the loaches to live or do you think i have enough with the two filters? If i do need a powerhead, could you possibly give a link to one that would be relatively cheap and good for my tank? Also, if i need a powerd what gph should it be rated?
Thankyou

I would definitely get a powerhead for the hillstream loaches. I have two of them and they confine themselves to the half of my tank with the highest flow.

I tend to prefer to use a Koralia evolution power head for my tanks, although if you have shrimp I would stick to one that you can put a pre filter on; no need to make shrimp paste.

A lot of the times different powerheads will have suggested tank sizes listed on them. I would try the koralia 425gph model personally. You will need a lower flow rate on powerheads with different flow patterns though.

Alright, thanks. And can you give me an example of how the flow rate with change the model i get? Also how many gph should it turn over?

Back
Top Bottom