Shy gourami - Will buying another gourami solve the problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 1 dwarf flame gourami in a 20 gallon with cories and danios.

The problem is that my gourami spends most of the time hiding behind plants.
And he doesn't seem to eat (to be honest i don't think I have seen him eat)

Question:
Will buying another gourami help my gourami feel less stressed and encourage him to come out more (and eat !! )

also,
do I have to buy the 'same species' of gourami.
Can I get another species instead of dwarf

Another gourami will probably stress him more. Chances are it would be another male and if he is shy and not quite healthy now, another probably would make it worse.

How long ago did you get him? Is he stressed because he was a new addition to the tank? That could be a reason he's not eating or he might be sick. Usually danios are "dither" fish and will coax shy fish into coming out and being more active. I guess you could get another gourami if your bio-load can handle it. If you have a moderatly planted tank you could go with another male. Male gouramis in small spaces equals aggression. Personally, I'd try to get a female, instead of a male, to go with him, but most LFS's don't stock them because they are less colorful then the males. Then again this is for dwarf gouramis but I think it applies to flame gouramis as well.

question:

do u think the danios and cories are stressing him out (because they zippy and fast fish) ??

I have a gold gourami who became shy a few months ago after the blue gourami died. He hides behind the plants, but he does come out to eat. When the blue gourami was around, it would be always chasing the gold gourami. When the blue g. went to fishy sky, I thought the gold g. would be happier. Instead he became shy. Go figure! :roll:

He also tends to get spoked quite easily, I understand that it's a common trait in gouramis.

LOL.. ok, i get confused when you post, why don't you update your profile and under the "about your tanks" put what size your tanks are?

AshleyNicole said:
LOL.. ok, i get confused when you post, why don't you update your profile and under the "about your tanks" put what size your tanks are?

oh ok - i'll do that !!!

hey ashleenicole - i did it.
these are the tank i'm happy with - i can't make up my mind
i'm still stocking the other four

awesome.. lol, i just got confuzed becuase you area always talking about all this fish and im thinking, ok, thats a lot of fish!! LOL

AshleyNicole said:
awesome.. lol, i just got confuzed becuase you area always talking about all this fish and im thinking, ok, thats a lot of fish!! LOL

i know !!
i'm very indecisive :lol:
because when I visit the petstore or read the forums - I always come across some fish that I find interesting and I MUST have it ... lol...

so I do lots of reading, search the web via google, ask questions in forums etc....

fish keeping is very addictive - lots of different fish
All unique and special in their own way.

Back
Top Bottom