Silk plants too heavy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking about adding some plastic/silk plants to the tank. I like silk ones much better because they look more real, however I have a problem with them. While plastic plants stay in water in positions that resemple real aquatic plants, some of silk plants that I had before (especially bigger ones) leaned to the buttom of the tank as if they were too heavy. They were aquatic plants bought from drsFoster&Smith, so they were specifically designed for aquariums. Have anyone experienced the same thing and is there anything to do to fix that problem.

I only have that problem when I get algae build up on the silk plants. Otherwise no problems. I would see if they have a return policy for the plants should they do that again.

I had one silk plant that looked like a giant leaf. It was supposed to stand up straight but most of the time it was leaning over. I just took it out. Are yours supposed to be really tall plants?

I bought a silk plant recently for my betta. So far it's standing nicely.

It has this weight at the bottom which you burry in the sand.

I don't know about using silk plants that were not designed to be in aquariums. I recall a time when you couldn't even wash anything silk, not alone put it in water or else it would just disolve. I guess they put some protective coating or something on it.

I had one silk plant that looked like a giant leaf. It was supposed to stand up straight but most of the time it was leaning over. I just took it out. Are yours supposed to be really tall plants?
Some of them were tall, others weren't. I noticed that there are two types of silk plants. One type is very thin thik plants that don't look that real and often are wrinkled (at least that's how they look in stores). Other type is thicker plants that look very real, but those are too heavy and bend down in water.

Back
Top Bottom