Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats on the ram eggs.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

Nice work sini and missg

You guys are lucky you can have so many tanks :/
Id love to experiment with other aspects of the hobby and keep lots of different kinds of fish but my lady would kill me haha.

Ive been trying to weasel my way into getting her into fishkeeping but its not happening

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Aww sini :( I have a whole bottle of clove oil and zero compunctions about doing what needs done. Come to Colorado! I'll help you out <3

Welp the ram eggs are 99% dead this morning :facepalm: Looks like I'm gonna go back to 50% RO water in their tank.

Meanwhile the angelfish wigglers are coming along nicely so there's that :D

Where is your water sourced? You have that nice well water up there or stream fed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are the rams tank raised?
I wonder if tds tolerance changes with regard to reproduction over time. Like all of the water params will impact the formation and development of eggs and fry, but I would be curious to know if the "acceptable" ranges get more lax as more generations are tank bred for some species. Or maybe tank bred species adapt to aquarium life and don't feel like they're limited to breeding in optimum conditions because survival rate isn't critical due to limited space....just thinking about how tank raised cories are typically easier to breed than WC meaning they care less about the water content for some reason...I mean maybe that comes across as stupid and ignorant but just type thinking out loud.

Welp the ram eggs are 99% dead this morning :facepalm: Looks like I'm gonna go back to 50% RO water in their tank.

Meanwhile the angelfish wigglers are coming along nicely so there's that :D

I would do at least 50/50...
That is what worked for you but I keep needing to keep my water pretty low.
I try to work back up to steady 100+ going in and it is no good...:nono:
When this shows I mix straight ro till I get where I need to be again..
Mine really like 75tds or under for source(new) water in general or to safely fertilize .
@ Eggy sinis rams were breed by me!
They were hatched and raised until aprox 2 months old in ro water made specially for them(by me), and then switched to my tap straight which is 7.6-7.8 ph/3kh/9gh/ 350++TDS.
In years of breeding rams I have never had one egg get fertalized in my tap or even 50/50 tap ro.
All this is part of why I have a tds meter (well more then one) and am serious about my ro(I make a lot!)...

Eggy, I can actually explain it with ram eggs! Basically if kh (calcium carbonate) is too high it forms a sort of crust over the egg that the sperm can't get through. That's why they will spawn but the eggs won't be fertilized.

Bandit, gonna go back to 50/50 for sure. Shouldn't have messed with what's working (y)

Are the rams tank raised?
I wonder if tds tolerance changes with regard to reproduction over time. Like all of the water params will impact the formation and development of eggs and fry, but I would be curious to know if the "acceptable" ranges get more lax as more generations are tank bred for some species. Or maybe tank bred species adapt to aquarium life and don't feel like they're limited to breeding in optimum conditions because survival rate isn't critical due to limited space....just thinking about how tank raised cories are typically easier to breed than WC meaning they care less about the water content for some reason...I mean maybe that comes across as stupid and ignorant but just type thinking out loud.

Can't say for sure but with some species, Angels and Discus and larger S. American Cichlids for example, have changed from their wild roots to needing almost none of the original water parameters of their wild ancestors. For wild Angels, soft acidic water was the only way to get them to breed and now, umpty ump years later, you can breed domesticated ones successfully in water with high PH and a mineral content that is off the charts. I would think that with the Rams, multiple generations started in say soft acidic water then gradually converted to less acidic and harder waters would eventually do the same. The big issue is where they start from I would think. For overseas Rams, the water is acidic and soft to start with so the natural progression into harder water would need to be done on the local level and may need multiple generations from your own stock. To the issue of tank bred cories, catfish tend to breed on a seasonal cycle so the more further away from the wild caught you get, the more the fish should react to the same stimuli but not necessarily the same timing. Case in point, I am trying to breed both C Sterbai and Albino C Aneas cats. The Albinos breed at almost every water change but the Sterbai haven't shown any interest in breeding for the time I have had them. Here's the difference: The albinos come from a line that has been bred by my friend for over 20 years in hard alkaline, the Sterbai are only second or third generation tank bred ( water parameters for spawning unknown.) My water is soft( ish) but higher in PH. The Albinos don't seem to care but maybe the Sterbai do? If I don't get any attempt at spawning this spring from the Sterbai, I'll be trying them with more acidic water to see if it makes a difference. And this may prove your point exactly about time and changes. ;)(y)

Greetings fellow AA members.

Staff have spent a great deal of time removing and or editing posts from this thread which violate the Community Rules (CR) of Aquarium Advice. All members should have read the CR since they agreed to the CR upon joining. That said, just in case you missed reading through them here is the link

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

Please read them if you have any possible question as to what they say.

PLEASE refrain from chit chat, getting off topic and discussion of moderator actions, etc. these are violations of the CR. There is a Chat room for talking fish, and PM if something doesn't fit into a thread.

Everyone subscribed here has been officially warned, and point violations will be given if this happens on this thread or anywhere else you post to on threads.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

If you need to go back and edit a post somewhere, please do it.

Aquarium Advice is a wonderful community of fish (and invert) loving members and let's do our best to make it a great place to be.

Well alrighty then....

I got my culture of microworms started yesterday, got a free starter culture from my professor. I guess he uses them for baby geckos? Anybody got an idea how long before I should harvest them? I've read some differing reports....

Well alrighty then....

I got my culture of microworms started yesterday, got a free starter culture from my professor. I guess he uses them for baby geckos? Anybody got an idea how long before I should harvest them? I've read some differing reports....

Good question. We have a fellow in a local fish club that gives away free starter packs of these. I paid more attention to the sustaining the culture part and not about harvesting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom