Slane's 10 gallon journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HistorianSlane

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank currently is going through the cycle right now ( Every time I say The Cycle I can't help but think it's going through its time of the month. :lol: Actually I guess it is sort of like that... in a weird fishy way).

So to give the general stats on the tank:

It is a 10 gallon with a HOB filter, heater if need be, and an airstone ( if needed).

Water stats:

Ammonia is at a .25 (i've done two 50% changes today)

Nitrite is at a 0

and Nitrate is at a 0

PH is 7.5

With that said I'm trying to come up with some fish that I have locally that will work together and I'll be making a list of the fish the stores have soon. Probably tomorrow if I can escape from my house :lol:

Thus far these are the fish I've found online that I like

Endler's livebearers
Sparkling Gouramis
white clouds
Dwarf Rasboras

you will need a heater but airstones are not needed and you will want to buy a test kit to see what your levels are. do you have any pics of the tank? good luck you can get all of the advice needed on this website. least killifish are really cool they are the smallest livebearers in the world and come straight from north america!

Killifish look awesome! I'll have to see what my fish stores have but those guys look cool as heck! =D

As for a picture, there isn't really anything in my tank worth tanking a picture of. It's just a standard 10 gallon tank,

20.25 in W x 15 in H x 10.5 in D

And it has black gravel ( wasn't fond of bright color gravel felt it would take away from the fish). There isn't any decorations. Just a heater and a HOB filter and a lid.

Oh I also have two Zebra Danio fish in there. They're helping me cycle the tank. ( was misinformed about fish in cycling and I'm stuck with the danios. I know the 10g is small for danios. The pet store said they were perfect for a 10 gallon.... but I know better now..)

yeah they would do fine in a ten gallon they need to be in a school so i would do five of those they max out at 2 inches. do you know how many gallons per hour your filter is? if its not sufficient it will limit the amount of fish you can stock. have you thought about if you want live or fake plants?

At the moment I'm on the fence about the live or fake plants. I think live would be awesome.

Mine does 100 GPH

live plants are really awesome but you can also make it look cool with fake plants. i prefer silk plants when using fake ones because they look more natural in my opinion. you could go with a school of tetras and then one centerpiece fish like a dwarf gourami or betta. its pretty hard stocking a 10 gallon because you are very limited on the fish that can go in there

I was also thinking silk as well. Those seem great so I'll look into those.
( I do the panty hose test on fake plants. If it rips the panty hose then it's gonna hurt the fins. I use this on my betta though that was when he was not Mr. Grumpy Gills. He prefers his own 1 gallon territory... believe me he stalks even me in the room. :lol: )

I'm liking the tetras and one center piece fish idea. That's more along the lines of what I want. It's just finding that right combo for my hard calcium water.

I've heard Cardinal tetra don't like very hard water though so I might look into bloodfins instead.

Although if I can find Endler's Livebearers I won't complain either. I really like those guys and Ember Tetras.

Well I scoped around my three LFS. The last one was a new shop but it was horrible... they had puppy mill dogs and poor kittens *shudders* Oh I left right when I saw those poor dogs and the fish being forced to live together when they don't get along...

Anyways... I did not find Endlers or Ember Tetras. Found everything but that.

I'm still into the idea of having schooling fish and a center peice fish.

The stores that I would buy from had Bloodfins and Xray Tetras. Which one would you guys recommend. ( I'm also thinking of using a Dwarf Gourami as my center fish).

I have a 10g tank with a 20 gallon filter.

Well I was bad today. I ended up getting two Juli corys. It was love a first sight. I know I should've waited... but I adjusted for an ammonia spike. I tested after an hour of putting the corys in and nailed that ammonia spike. I'll just keep on testing my water religiously the next couple of days. its not that big of a deal. I'm always testing my water anyways. :fish1:

I'm running out of room in my tank. I was planning on just doing one schooling fish, bottom and one center fish.

What are those tetras like though?

That's what everyone is telling me. Gouramis must rule. I'll have to go get one after my tank is through cycling. :D So I think that's set then for what is going to be in my tank.

4 Zebra danios

3 cory cats

1 Dwarf Gourami.

I have black gravel and I hope to use other plants and decorations to get my fish to really stand out.

I saw earlier in the feed you debating on live or artificial plants, remember live plants will grow. I use artificial myself, some can look like the real deal!

Back
Top Bottom