Snail alternative for gsp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LtGhost08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I kno green spotted puffers eat snails to file their beaks but im having s difficult time getting them and getting them to breathe. What foods help file their beaks? Im looking into ghost shrimp. Are the shells of a ghost shrimp hard enough to file a gsp beak? Please help! I cant seem to find a definite answer on this. I want ghosts if they work because they are fairly inexpensive and i can try to breed them and they dont trash my tank like a snail..

What makes you think that snails trash your tank? And what do you mean you are having a hard time getting them to breathe? I'm sure that ghost shrimp would help some but they aren't nearly as hard as snail shells, plus you can grow a feeder population of snails easily. Pond snails and ramshorns are the most common ones used.

Wow..i cant believe i put breathe lol. I meant breed hahaha. And they trashed my other tank by when they would climb out of the water and they were laying eggs everywhere! Also ejaculating every where (so nasty!). So would ghosts work or is a snail still the only beak file for my baby puffer. Which is probly the most bad fish i have ever owned!

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited your post, please watch your language, there are young people here as this is a family friendly site.

Try some pond snails or ramshorns, these are usually called pest snails. The type that lay eggs above the waterline are mystery snails and they breed much slower and get rather large, so they don't make good feeders.

I don't know about whether shrimp are good enough on their own, I would say probably not, but maybe one of the puffer people will chime in.

Sry about the language..i think what they did give me were pond snails. Very small the siZe of my
Fish's eye. They are brown to black in color as
Well. I just hope ghosts will work. Then i can use them in another tank to breed them and they are awesome to look at. Snails not so much haha.

One of the issues i am having is actually getting snails. Most of the lfs around me put copper in their tanks to kill snails so they dont have any but keep their ghosts in separate tanks to protect them.

You should be able to get some pest snails shipped in for $10 or less, more than you'll know what to do with. They really need to be kept in a tank away from the GSP as he will gorge himself otherwise.

Ya that was my thought too. For a little guy hes a pig and once he gets the taste of food his hunting senses hype into overdrive n looks for more food and will eat till he explodes. Whats a good site to get snails cheap?

aquabid is good, maybe ebay. This forum has a classified section but there are criteria (15 posts and 15 days of membership) to access it.

After looking at aquabid, some auctions seem to be overly expensive. If you end up having trouble locating some for a good price PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Ok thank you for your help. I might just have to wait for my 15 days of membership. Love this forum. Even have the iphone app!

Back
Top Bottom