Snail trap/feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
There's probably been tons of these posts on here in the past but I just wanted to share my snail trap I made with some online help. I find it difficult to feed my assassin snail algae wafers without all the other fish picking them up and moving them so I made this.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432229696.203380.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432229723.220423.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432229808.059624.jpg

If anyone is interested, you just cut the top third off a 500ml plastic bottle with a blade or pair of scissors (please be careful!) push tiny hole in to both the remainder of the bottle and the top third you cut off so it can sink. For this you can use some BBQ skewers or a cork screw or small Philips driver. Turn the top third over and push it in to the bottom third.

When you are choosing a bottle, buy one that has the plastic wrap around that can be removed easily instead of the paper packaging and doesn't use any glue. Also use a drinking cap like this.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432230130.728523.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432230149.011704.jpg

They have decent sized holes and create another conical obstacle to further trap the snails.

You will probably need a small pebble to help it sink but don't use gravel as it will be harder to pick the tiny snails out. Chuck and algae wafer or your food of choice in and away you go

Anyway I'm off to try this out nows

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well so far so good. There's about 3 assassin snails in the trap and 3 more working their way in. Tomorrow I'll let them all back out after a good feed.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432243284.345104.jpg

It definitely worked. Was expecting to see more juvenile assassins though :(

The good thing was it was easy to remove the broken down wafer too.

Back
Top Bottom