snakehead available in Ontario

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marquis

Aquarium Advice Freak
If yes where could i buy one yes i know their invasive i just want one in a tank im not going to release it ever i enjoy our currently stable trout and salmon fisheries i would never do anything to prevent me from catching a nice rainbow trout lol

I'm sure they are illegal to own there as well and probably a hefty fine if you are caught. I heard that people have been fined as much as $20,000 for this fish in the United States.

bs6749 said:
I'm sure they are illegal to own there as well and probably a hefty fine if you are caught. I heard that people have been fined as much as $20,000 for this fish in the United States.

Iv heard the same about fines but read in a thread here that they are legal in Canada

Do police really come to your house and ask if you have a snakehead in your aquarium?

Zactheninja said:
Do police really come to your house and ask if you have a snakehead in your aquarium?

They have a special task force they use thermal imaging to determine if u have a species u shouldn't also special fish and reptile sniffing dogs

Zactheninja said:
Really?
That's insane....

No i was only kidding but if you live in an area that restricts a species it is for a good reason to protect the ecosystem and you should never break these laws

Marquis said:
No i was only kidding but if you live in an area that restricts a species it is for a good reason to protect the ecosystem and you should never break these laws

Hahahaha I was like "wooow!" guess who feels like an idiot:/

Austin.b said:
Hahahaha I was like "wooow!" guess who feels like an idiot:/

Not trying to make ppl feel dumb sorry i was only trying to deter ppl from having them they are a serious problem in the USA and they are slowly moving into Canada

Marquis said:
Not trying to make ppl feel dumb sorry i was only trying to deter ppl from having them they are a serious problem in the USA and they are slowly moving into Canada

Oh no not that, I really believed you when you said they have reptile sniffing dogs and a task force with thermal cameras lol but I absolutely agree with you that they're banned for a reason and it's not worth endangering the environment:)

Snakeheads are not illegal in Alberta, I just bought two giant juveniles. I do understand the concern regarding this species but it can also be said about any aquarium fish. We honestly don't know the impact if someone were to release say an Oscar into the wild. Unfortunately someone released snakeheads and it's posed a huge issue much like the boa released into the wild in Florida. It always seems to happen that one fool ruins it for the masses. From what I've seen of my snakeheads in the two days I've had them they are awesome fish and a treat to have in my aquarium. Definitely not for the faint of heart as they are savage predators and have a huge appetite.

Here's a pic of one of mine, if you are into predators and can get some I recommend it. There are many species out there that range in size from about 12 inches to over three feet.

kdpuffer said:
Here's a pic of one of mine, if you are into predators and can get some I recommend it. There are many species out there that range in size from about 12 inches to over three feet.

What do you know about them being legal in Canada

I know Ontario has a ban, bc does not I'm not sure about the other provinces, even my own but this is a fish I myself support a ban on. Especially one capable of removing species native to our lakes and streams. Sorry but I like my Canada the way it is and a fish that has as much appeal and fad status as a dog in a purse doesn't belong in any market where after awhile it'll just get abandoned. I don't target those who are responsible at all, but better safe then sorry.

I have a thread about predators and monsters check it out. It sounds like snakeheads aren't in your future, maybe look into vittatus tigerfish. They are just as savage and aren't banned, they grow to about 3 feet like the giant snakehead but have teeth that will frighten even the toughest.

kdpuffer said:
I have a thread about predators and monsters check it out. It sounds like snakeheads aren't in your future, maybe look into vittatus tigerfish. They are just as savage and aren't banned, they grow to about 3 feet like the giant snakehead but have teeth that will frighten even the toughest.

My life won't always b in Ontario lol

kdpuffer said:
We have jobs in Alberta, and snakeheads ;-)

Get me a job that includes housing and a food allounce and is good pay lol

Back
Top Bottom