Some general Betta questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RichGuzinski

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive had a Betta before but never in a heated tank. I kind of inherited the fish. I had him for about 5 yrs. I just picked up a new Dumbo Halfmoon and I just have a few questions about how to keep him happy. I know only to feed small amounts but is it ok to spread out like a couple of blood worms throughout the day or better to feed at once? Also whats the best diet? Pellets, blood worms and what else? What would be a "Scooby Snack" to a betta? Also is there anything other then conditioner I need to use to keep him health? Thanks for any info

Attachments

• 20180113_133915.jpg
    20180113_133915.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 20180113_130100.jpg
    20180113_130100.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 76
You could feed small amounts throughout the day but you might end up overfeeding so it might be best to just do it at once, for my bettas I use flakes/pellets/bloodworms on different days to mix it up. Generally I think pellets do best with bloodworms occasionally as a "Scooby snack". After conditioner there isn't much else, also I'd recommend raising the temperature to around 79°, it'll make it him happier. Also a filter with a slow current is very beneficial as well, and weekly water changes are a must to keep his water good :) hope i helped

How big is that tank? It looks kind of small, but that may just be the picture. Bettas need at least 2.5 gallons. Also it looks a little crowded. Bettas do like hides and plants, but they also need swim room.

My house gets cold at night. Its old and no HVAC. Its at almost 76 and rising. Thought the heater I got would do fine. Just think it was the time of day I set it up. Ive been hand feeding blood worms. So much fun.

Always test your water. Yes, alittle crowded for him. A happy Betta loves 5-10 gallon with swim room. And lite flow with filter. Heat 78-80 pick a temp and keep it steady. I feed mine pellets mostly. Flakes other days. And blood worms when ever(but not alot of them) once a day feeding. Pellets about 3-4 a day. Keep a clean tank and you'll have no problems. Some like alittle cave, others like to rest on things, like leafs. What ever you do, don't use plastic plants. He's very pretty! Enjoy him. ?

Thank you. He does love to rest on the leaves in the water. I know its a little crowded. I only had the plant in the tank. I wanted to provide some hiding places and something to break the water flow. I need to find some good small pieces of drift wood. He seems very happy. Loves to show off. Been hand feeding him bloodworms. I have always loved fish. But Im loving them even more now. In the process of setting up a goldfish tank also.

I have another question. Ive been watching him for long periods of time 1 hour or 2. Every once in a while he go erratic. Kind of flipping around mouth open fast. Not sure if he sees a reflection and is flaring. Or this is just his way of playing. Water is at 77.1. I did a water test today and all was well. Ill have to catch him on camera and post

There is more room them it looks. I took out some rocks. Not sure if he's showing off, just happy and playing or something is wrong

He's very pretty! You will be able to tell if he is flaring if he kinda of rushes and then stops and "puts on a show." He will erect his fins and push out his gills to make himself appear bigger and then we will kind of "strut." Your video didn't seem to load so I can't see if but you can compare it to that. About the feeding I feed mine Betta pellets and occasionally bloodworms and they love it :) Your tank looks good, Bettas love an open space and they love to swim around and through things. Good job!

Thank you. From your replay it sounds like he is flaring. He seems to only do it when someone is in the room or watching him. Think hes a little bit of a show off! Im having issues keeping the tank above 75. In the day it gets to about 78 to 78.6 and at night it drops to 74 to 75. I know temp swings can kill a fish. I dont know if this rise and fall of temp is or will do any harm

My tank does the same because it is right by the window. However it is a gradual change and not huge so I don't think it is harmful, I've had mine like this for about 4 months and they are perfectly happy and healthy

Thanks for the info. I have my guy in the kitchen. Even though in in Cali it still gets cold at night. Ive tried adding some warmer water to get the temp up so that is didnt drop so much. Helped a little. Stoped at 75 rather then low 74

Yeah if you added slightly warmer water during water changes he'll be fine. Keep doing great!

So I did a water test for ammonia and nitrite. Its at 0.25 ppm for both. Do I do partial water changes like a goldfish tank? And let it rise a little to create nitrate? Need some help with cycling a betta tank.

I would do a water change... Both of those will harm him and because he is still there producing ammonia which will convert to nitrite it shouldn't mess anything up regarding the cycle

A 50% water change killed my goldfish while in cycle. I was told no more then 25% or the ecosystem will crash. I did a 25% change. I will do another water test when i get home from work.

A 50% water change shouldn't kill your fish as long as you use a dechlorinator and it isn't a drastic pH or temp change. I agree with flitabout and do a 50% WC

Back
Top Bottom