Some Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiamiFishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello ladies and gents, :D

Simply wanted to share some of my tanks pic with you all, since I own you for all your advice and help...

Enjoy, and comments are welcome,

Thank you all.

MiamiFishy.

PS. The 29 gal looks a little bare, :? was thinking on buying some real plants... any suggestion ... something small to cover the foreground and help the eggs and fry survive better???

Attachments

• 10_gal_tank_cae_167.jpg
    10_gal_tank_cae_167.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 29_gal_tank_200.jpg
    29_gal_tank_200.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 29_gal_tank_plecos_288.jpg
    29_gal_tank_plecos_288.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 25
  • cimg0004_139.jpg
    cimg0004_139.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 30
  • cimg0010_205.jpg
    cimg0010_205.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 40
I would add a lot more artificial plants and some real Java moss for the fry, tied to rocks or driftwood. It's a good place for them to hide, and they like browsing on all the little creatures what hang out in the moss. A nice dark background would make the tanks look a little more complete, too. I have been known to use a black plastic garbage bag.... :)

Your fish look great-nice and plump and happy!

I agree on the background. A black background would add a whole lot more to the tanks. I paint all of my tanks black.

Might want to add a background to your tank, would make it look better since you couldn't see your wall and your HOB filter.

Thank you all for your replies,
and yes, I will be adding a background to the tank, it definitely will make it look much better, was debating between blue, black or some picture plants... do like the effects of backdrop in black.

thank plecoperson, yeah I feed those guys most of the times twice a day, that is my mother empties half a cup of flakes in the tank,,, ( LOL ) kidding, but she puts close to that much in the morning since I leave for work early, then when I come back at night I feed them about a half a teaspoon of flakes, i crash them a bit... for the plecos I treat them to some zucchini from time to time... they love it! the zebras don't seem to mind much ... and yeaph, I know those plecos of mine are going to get big...BIG... the big one of the two as you could tell has really grown, both are supposed to be common plecos, but I can only see one of them getting really big, the other one remain relatively the same size as when I bought from the lfs.

I use to feed them from time to time bloodworms, but stopped doing it after my male betta developed a tumor ( he started to get really large on one side more ) and unfortunately died a few weeks months later! so no bloodworm for anyone! Just flakes, dry tubex?...

Ill do want to add some real plants there, java moss I think is kinda hard to find around here in Miami that is...
Botherway, how is the formula for calculating watts per gallons goes againg?? I think I have a low light tank... but not sure...

Look at your lightbulbs to see how many watts they are (it's usually written on them somewhere), then divide that number by the gallons of the tank. For instance, a fluorescent strip light for a 10 gallon tank holds a 15 watt bulb, so 15watts/10 gallons = 1.5 watts/gallon. If the bulbs don't say the wattage, measure how long they are and then you should be able to look up how many watts a light of a certain length is (try going to an online retailer as if you were going to buy one)

You should be able to get most of the plants that you might like on the Barter/trade forum here. Post what you're looking for and I almost guarantee that you'll get them sooner or later!

Thank you Newfound,
I will check tonight what wattage my fluorescent light is and post it and see what plants will go best with that light or if an upgrade is called for... mmmmm...maybe a DIY project..mmm EXCellent!

While am at this, let me ask, I don't know if this bothers anyone else or if its only me, but when its time to turn off the lights, gets me kinda worried that my fish seem to swim kind of going crazy for a few seconds/ minute till they become confortable with having only the blue moon light turn on... a small LED on the left middle of the tank. Some times I use a flash light to shine into the center of the tank before turning off the single fluorescent bulb off...
Is there a way to make the transition from full light to a twilight to moon light softer, less dramatic??? with out breaking the bank? is such thing possible... all your ideas experiences and opinions are very much welcome..

Back
Top Bottom