SOMETHING WICKED, IT GROWS IN THE NIGHT, WHAT COULD IT BE...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DARK Jak

Aquarium Advice Freak
BROWN ALGE DA DA DA..
the other day i decided to look in my wet/dry and the whole thing is covered in brown alge i asked my uncle (he's a marine biologist) but he had know clue what could cause brown alge to grow in a wet/dry sump that has been in the dark for a month now. especially when my tank is crystal clear. :? :? :?anyone know how this could happen or why?

the flash on my camera makes it look clear but the tan on the bottom is brown alge

The occurrence of diatoms is natural. It will happen no matter what. I'm not expert on the sump but since you have one, it would seem natural for it to occur there rather than in your tank.

From what I understand about sumps, this is precisely why they are used. Your tank remains clear while all the other organic goodies grow in them.

I can't begin to recommend how to rid yourself of them (tanks, yes...sumps, no). I do know a couple of folks who use them. Unfortunately, I may not see them until Monday.

I got brown stuff in my sump too ... although mine is not stuck to the sides. I don't know if these are diatoms or just gunk settling out in the sump, but I'd rather have that in the sump out of sight than in the tank!

I occcasionally vacumn out the stuff, but usually just leave it alone....

ive heard of them all the time here but DONT KNOW so i figured id ask. what the heck are diatoms?

Diatoms are single cell organisms that has yellow-brown chloroplasts for photosysthesis. The cell wall is made out of silicates & are actually rather pretty under the microscope.

Diatoms are also called brown algae in fish circles, but they are not really that related to green (true) algae.

I have diatoms in my tank too, at least that's what I think they are. I had one silk plant that actually got stained brown from them, I had to throw it away. I have one rock that they seem to be growing on too, but other than that, my tank is beautifully clear. My filter (HOB) also has them in it, just hanging onto the filter part. It's nto really noticable at all in my tank, so I don't worry too much about it, just made me mad that I had to throw away the silk plants :)

12Diatoms.jpg

:D

Back
Top Bottom