Standardisation of volume

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RabiedRooster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just a quick question on the standard units used to describe the volume of tanks within these and other forums. I have a 54 litre tank and i use the uk gallon to describe it i.e 54 L = 11.8783 gal(UK) BUT the majority of people here are from other parts of the world and may use the american gallon (or other) and describe it thusly: 54 L = 14.2652 gal(US) which is a difference of ~2-3 gallons. So what do you use; as the difference will get compounded with larger tanks and can have an effect on the advice given to OP's based on tank size getting wrongly described/understood. You thoughts would be welcomed.

RR

I suddenly realised this yesterday when asking how many fish I could fit in a 10gallon tank. I had to clarify half way through. I think from now on, I'll be stating 10 UK gallons.

If you want to be clear beyond any doubt (I am not sure whether un-ambiguous is actually a word) litres (L) is probably the best. No doubt with that and ppl can convert from L to US gal.

If you just say "10gal" it's a safe bet that most ppl around here (myself included) will assume US gal, like fishies said stating UK gal would be best if you want to use those.

I am a scientist and I gotta tell you, agreeing on standarized measurements is not always easy, dont even get me started on using oz as both units of mass and volume.

Non science people generally cannot convert to or from the metric system....they just have no occasion to.

I think those who use UK gallons ought to specify.

To those who cannot convert from liters to gallons - All you have to do is divide by 4. It's not exact, but it's a pretty good approximation. To convert gallons to liters, multiply by 4. It's that easy.

Non science people generally cannot convert to or from the metric system....they just have no occasion to.

I think those who use UK gallons ought to specify.

To those who cannot convert from liters to gallons - All you have to do is divide by 4. It's not exact, but it's a pretty good approximation. To convert gallons to liters, multiply by 4. It's that easy.

Yeah, I guess I didn't really think about that.

+1 on the factor of 4, if we want to be really precise its 1 US gal = 3.79 L

i am in the US and i use US gallons. people i know in the uk tend to use liters.

I usually use litres, but as most people still haven't got the idea of metric measurements after 30 years, I've got into the habit of using gallons so that people will understand me. :)

99% of people need a calculator for that. Only 90% need one for multiplying and dividing by 4 :D

Absolutely, I never said people should do that in their heads. Figured I would just put it in there for the sake of more info on this. I am not trying to contradict you fishguy1 so apologies if I was unclear.

I hope you're joking about 90% needing a calculator for multiplying/dividing by 4.. lol..?

Absolutely, I never said people should do that in their heads. Figured I would just put it in there for the sake of more info on this. I am not trying to contradict you fishguy1 so apologies if I was unclear.

No need to apologize - I was trying to be funny.

I hope you're joking about 90% needing a calculator for multiplying/dividing by 4.. lol..?

Yes, I was joking ;) I'm sure it's lower than 90%. Though in my experience a lot of people can't do addition and subtraction without a calculator.....

Just last night, one of the women I work with was writing up a contract and needed help with 35x6. I gave her the answer, and explained how you add 30x6 and 5x6. She didn't believe me and went and got a calculator.

No need to apologize - I was trying to be funny.

Yes, I was joking ;) I'm sure it's lower than 90%. Though in my experience a lot of people can't do addition and subtraction without a calculator.....

Just last night, one of the women I work with was writing up a contract and needed help with 35x6. I gave her the answer, and explained how you add 30x6 and 5x6. She didn't believe me and went and got a calculator.

I am not surprised! I was once tutoring chemistry to this girl who wanted to be a nurse and she couldn't do 9/2 without a calculator. Scary huh?

1 US gallon = 3.785 liters. Dividing the liter volume by four gets you close, but it can make a significant difference on a larger tank.

I went to school with engineering students that needed a calculator for 3+4. I think they could do the math in their heads, but needed that calculator as a security blanket.

Google has a handy conversion tool built right in. Whenever I see something on here that I for whatever reason want to see in gallons, I just type in "convert x liters to gallons" in my search bar and voila! Instant, precise conversion ;)

1 US gallon = 3.785 liters. Dividing the liter volume by four gets you close, but it can make a significant difference on a larger tank.

Would it make a significant difference? 1000 liters is 250 gallons dividing by 4. it's 264 gallons dividing by 3.785. That's a 5.6% difference. 5.3% using 3.785. In my book, it doesn't make any difference if the tank is 250 or 264 gallons - I would treat them the same.

Back
Top Bottom