Starting a 29 gal planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a great location (atleast I think its great) for a 29 gal tank. We have a dry bar in the basement of the house and it has a hole in the bar that will fit a 29 gal tank almost perfectly.

Here are a few pics that I took a while back of the bar

ourbar.jpg

Closeup of the opening

holeinbar.jpg

I have some fish that I know will probably be given to me in a few weeks thanks to the current owners getting a job transfer and they would rather give the fish to a good home than worry with transportation.

Anyway, what are some of the basics I should know or consider before getting to far into this project?

I was thinking about using an EHEIM canaster filter for filtration. Do I need more light than a double strip light? I have some old normal output florecent strip fixtures that I would like to use.

that sure sounds like a neat project, sorry i don't have any helpful advice, but we definately wanna see it when you get started, and of course, finished!

New guy here from MD. The hole looks basically the right size, but its so low to the ground will anyone be able to view it decently? It also appears to be right at the level to be kicked by accident, especially if you have folks drinking around the bar. (Sorry, but drunken football fans in my house have come very close to causing aquarium disasters). Just some things to keep in mind, ffreek.

First off

Welcome to the site....

I welcome your construtive comments. While the tank might be to low for a good viewing angle of people at the bar its a decent height for viewing from the couch on the other side of the room.

Dont think I will have the issue with the drunken football parties. But it really sounds like your house is quite a party place.

(Since you mention football I want to bring your attention to the NFL and College Division I avatars that we have.)

Look forward to more posts. What type of tanks do you have? IF you have any photos please feel free to post them in the show off area or if you have many photos you can PM me for a spot in the Photo Gallery.

Don't party THAT much

:oops:

Lest you get the wrong impression, we don't party all the time. Most of the craziness took place during the Ravens Playoff/Superbowl run 2 years ago. Don't think I have to worry about that again anytime soon. :roll:

If people can view the tank from across the room, by all means go for it. I do like to see aquariums in unusual spots, bet people will love it. Also, Ehiem makes great stuff, the cannister filter will be fine for a 29.

Well I got the tank today. I plan on using some gravel from a few years ago when I had my 20 gal reef tank a 20 gal freshwater tank.

I am thinking about moving my EHEIM filter over from the 45 gal salt to the 29 gal tank also. Obviously I will need to clean the dickens out of it first.

Back
Top Bottom