Starting a Betta Sorority,hELP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyAquatail109

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to start a betta sorority with my remaining female in my tank.I will be using 9 gallons(1 gallon would be divided for the male)How do you set up a sorority?

I have a neon tetra, 3 glowlight tetras and a female betta.I got a male betta and was planning to breed them,but failed.(I'm new at this,and the betta didn't make a bubble nest).

I bred bettas for a long time. I'm not familiar with the word Sorority used other than in a club for college girls. Are you trying to breed them?

I want to start a betta sorority with my remaining female in my tank.I will be using 9 gallons(1 gallon would be divided for the male)How do you set up a sorority?

I have a neon tetra, 3 glowlight tetras and a female betta.I got a male betta and was planning to breed them,but failed.(I'm new at this,and the betta didn't make a bubble nest).

In 9 gallons with the existing stock you are actually overstocked.
The tetras really don't belong in that size tank, they should have atleast 20 so if you can rehome those then a sorority could work.

I've never done one in less than 28g but hear a lot of people have success with them in 10g, 9 isn't much difference.
You want atleast 4 females total, but in a 9 you really can't have more than 5 and you really can't have anymore until you remove the tetras like I stated already.
Plant/decorate the tank very well, make sure there are plenty of hiding spaces and tall plants to break up the line of sight at the top. Remove your existing girl while you are doing this so that she loses her sense of territory.
Then add her and all the new girls back all at once. You can float them in cups in the tank before adding them too if you want them to get used to each other a bit before hand as well.
If you ever want to add a new female you'll want to remove everyone and rearrange again so that they think it's a new tank and have to pick out new territory again.

Oh, and you really don't have the room for the male if you divided the tank for the male to have space enough to be comfortable you'd really only end up with about 6-7g for the females and that's not enough, like said 10 is really the bare minimum for a sorority

Last edited:
In 9 gallons with the existing stock you are actually overstocked.
The tetras really don't belong in that size tank, they should have atleast 20 so if you can rehome those then a sorority could work.

I've never done one in less than 28g but hear a lot of people have success with them in 10g, 9 isn't much difference.
You want atleast 4 females total, but in a 9 you really can't have more than 5 and you really can't have anymore until you remove the tetras like I stated already.
Plant/decorate the tank very well, make sure there are plenty of hiding spaces and tall plants to break up the line of sight at the top. Remove your existing girl while you are doing this so that she loses her sense of territory.
Then add her and all the new girls back all at once. You can float them in cups in the tank before adding them too if you want them to get used to each other a bit before hand as well.
If you ever want to add a new female you'll want to remove everyone and rearrange again so that they think it's a new tank and have to pick out new territory again.

Oh, and you really don't have the room for the male if you divided the tank for the male to have space enough to be comfortable you'd really only end up with about 6-7g for the females and that's not enough, like said 10 is really the bare minimum for a sorority

Yes,your right..I need to remove the glowlight tetras(and the neon too,I assume)but, the lfs condition isn't very good,because almost all my fish I bought there died.I don't to send them there..Maybe I can't get a sorority...I always wanted one..

Yes,your right..I need to remove the glowlight tetras(and the neon too,I assume)but, the lfs condition isn't very good,because almost all my fish I bought there died.I don't to send them there..Maybe I can't get a sorority...I always wanted one..

Yeah, unless you find somewhere to rehome both the glow lights and neons you're pretty much out of luck on a sorority until you can get another/larger tank. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but atleast you don't have to learn the hard way and either be stuck with massive water changes multiple times a week or lose the entire sorority.

Just in case you decide that you're all for a sorority, and are willing to lose the other fish, I'd like to be of some help :) I had my sorority of twelve in a 30g tank, but disease set in even after a very long quarantine period and I ended up with six, just buying the seventh. They live in a 10g tank successfully and somewhat peacefully. I'll give it to you straight- a sorority is very stressful on both you and the fish. You never know how the girls will react, and you never know what's going to happen in the end, who's going to end up hurt or dead. The first few weeks will be absolute heck to watch as they set up a pecking order (from Alpha female and downwards) and you'll see a lot of gorgeous tails get shredded.

One of the most important things about a sorority: PLANTS, PLANTS, PLANTS! Live, fake, a mix- it doesn't matter. All that matters is TONS of plants and TONS of hiding places. I have more than 30 plants in my 10g, and too many hiding places to count. With my girls, the sorority is still strong, but illness is still a possibility, and I dedicate a lot of time in my day to watching them and making sure everyone is healthy.

With your fish, if they all come from the same small locally owned business, I would only quarantine the girl already in the tank and then after two weeks add her in. If they come from big chain stores (PetSmart, PetCo, etc) I would quarantine them all for two weeks. You'll need back up space for all of the fish, in case someone doesn't get along. Keeping them in separate tanks, giving them to friends. You may also want to ask if you can extend the warranty on the fish, just in case after the two week period it doesn't work out.

All in all, sororities are very expensive and hard and it can take months of planning to get it just right. But. BUT. After all that, it can be such a rewarding experience and can brighten your day right up when you come home and all of the girls are swarming the front of the tank, flopping over each other just to see you and beg and plead with their little eyes for some extra pellets.

Oh, and with your 9g tank, I would make sure that if it's cycled and you do proper water changes and make sure you have a decent filter, you can have up to nine girls. I wouldn't put nine girls in there, but a maximum of six, as the more girls the less fighting, since the aggression is spread out.

Oohitsae, if you find anything I've said wrong, please let me know, as even after nearly eight months it's still a learning experience!

Please explain to me what a sorority is and how it differs from any other fish tank. I'm guessing they are all females but are they of a specific type of fish?

Please explain to me what a sorority is and how it differs from any other fish tank. I'm guessing they are all females but are they of a specific type of fish?

A sorority in this case is all female bettas. It is risky because some females can be more aggressive than the males. You have to have the right tank set up & the right amount of females & even then bad things can happen. I have a 46g with 10 females in it currently & so far have had no major aggression issues. The more females the better as it typically spreads any aggression out instead of it being focused on one or two girls.

Back
Top Bottom