starting up finally! 72 gallon bowfront...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'll want to remove the carbon from your fluval. You shouldn't run carbon or the ammo-carb mix while doing a cycle. After your cycle is done, add it back.

Oh no way did I ruin my carbon? Waste all my time so far? Cut Half of my filter of my established 30 gallon and stuck it in my fluval today. Still no chang e in ammonia levels or nitrites...

something else i did last night. i remembered that black light that was in one of the light slots on my tank light. i thought it was burnt out but it wasnt so i took it out. i thought i read somewhere where black lights inhibit bacteria growth but im not sure... i took it out just in case.
also, texas holy rock is expensive, are there any other types of rock you guys know of that looks good with the texas holy? as far as deco goes?

any rocks look good imo... if the fish are happy, the water is clear, and you have pfs, its going to look good lol... as for the blacklight... ive heard that too. Thats why i got an actinic instead of just buying a cheap blacklight fixture at walmart.

Also a regular blacklight gets very hot and will heat the water very quick...
yeah but the water has stayed about 82-84 degrees. im starting to get antsy, which i guess is normal. i have to fight the urge. one week with seeding and no change though :bowl:

ok updates. cycle still holding at ~4-5 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites. took carbon out of my filter, bio mesh from established tank in the filter, checking daily. got new rock and some plants. any suggestions on what i need more of? i dont wanna over do it. i still plan on more rock and plants though...

img_1029810_0_85bd7fdc280126cf5bd069649d95aa8b.jpg

img_1029810_1_846798deba8f10a3638112454981895a.jpg

img_1029810_2_b2e3334a1e2ab5b9e5b0328d74085d9c.jpg

Haha thanks man. Me too btw, wand will be off from now on in pics. Still don't know if I wanna turn the black background around to the blue though...

I think you might have too much ammonia in there. Might want to try big water change to get it down. May be too much ammonia for the bacteria to handle at this point. Ideas anyone????? Some info in this in the link in my signature... check it out.

I think you might have too much ammonia in there. Might want to try big water change to get it down. May be too much ammonia for the bacteria to handle at this point. Ideas anyone????? Some info in this in the link in my signature... check it out.
aww darnit. i was trying to follow the sticky on here about doing a fishless, and thought it said 5 ppm. i will try taking it down. ill try anything at this point lol, ill take it down to 2-3? and im readin that info in your sig spoon... good stuff!

Glad to help. Just regurgitating good info from others. Cant take all the credit.

Based on what I've read my ph may be te problem. That info says it should be around 7.5, while my tap water is 7.8 and with rock I've added it's up to 8.8... Imma try a pwc today and see if it comes down... Maybe I can do it like this lol

Wow, interesting update. Dad brought down some stress zyme from petsmart, said it was bacteria and might help. Checked my ammonia today it's around 2 ppm, nitrites are 0 ppm and the nitrates are 5.0 ppm... That stress zyme skip a step?

I was going to suggest that, but alot of people on here dont like it. Ive had very good luck with it, it seems to really help cycle the tank. I use it any time i set up a tank...

I was going to suggest that, but alot of people on here dont like it. Ive had very good luck with it, it seems to really help cycle the tank. I use it any time i set up a tank...

Well let's see what happens. It's wierd that I would have nitrate readings and no nitrite readings, but oh well lol... Or maybe I'm missing something haha

Well another day. Checked ammonia and it was down to 1 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm and nitrates still at 5 ppm. I added some ammonia since I'm still not showing nitrites

You may not see the nitrite spike since you added the bacteria. The bacteria may just convert the ammonia to nitrite and nitrate without you catching it. I would just add a small pinch of fish food for the next few days and keep an eye on your readings. You may be ready for fish soon as long as you can get the ammonia down to 0 and the nitrites stay at 0. Good luck!!

You may not see the nitrite spike since you added the bacteria. The bacteria may just convert the ammonia to nitrite and nitrate without you catching it. I would just add a small pinch of fish food for the next few days and keep an eye on your readings. You may be ready for fish soon as long as you can get the ammonia down to 0 and the nitrites stay at 0. Good luck!!
thanks again for your help guys. im going to try to add those yellow lab fry this weekend, see how they do. if my ammonia isnt exactly at 0 but im still showing nitrates i will do a pwc before i put them in...

If you are going to put the fish in there I would be taking water readings every day, especially ammonia. Watch for signs of ammonia on the fish. The biggest indicator would be red around the gills and breathing heavily. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom