Stocking - 30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin112

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys I'm new to the hobby and this website! I have some questions regarding stocking?? I have a 30 gallon tank with some plants and hiding places, I currently have 8 tiger barbs, 4 Pakistani loaches, two Pictish catfish and one red tailed black shark is this an alright stocking level and if so can I get any more I was thinking of the glass catfish, I'm running a external filter and the water temp is at 27c all levels are fine! Some help would be wonderful, thank you

I don't know if I would do 2 pictus cats and 4 yo yo loaches. Long term these guys are gonna get too big. Glass catfish are pretty timid and they don't compete well for food. I don't know how well they would do with barbs.

Levels are fine doesn't describe enough for us
I'd remove the pictus
Please tell us what type of filter also as in model gph etc
If you use test strips go liquid and get an API master kit if you can

Levels are fine doesn't describe enough for us
I'd remove the pictus
Please tell us what type of filter also as in model gph etc
If you use test strips go liquid and get an API master kit if you can

Firstly thank you for your quick responses, I'm running a fluval 306 external filter and the levels ate ammonia-0 nitrate-0 ph is around 7. Why would you remove the two Pictus they seem very happy!

The pictus can reach 10 inches and the yoyos 6 I believe. The yoyos are a better fit for the footprint of your tank. Pictus cats are one of my favorite catfish. I'm thinking about setting up a tank for some.

A friend kept some pictus catfish in his 75 gal tank for years and they never got over 6 inches. That is the reason I got some for my tank. They are fast and move around a lot so the more room the better.

I wouldn't get the Glass catfish they are kind "shy" and like a slow moving tank. I think the other cats you have would stress them to much. And the pictus are pigs and snap up food fast so there might be a feeding problem.

Back
Top Bottom