Stocking A 20g/ Gourami Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy91

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone,
Curently new to the site, and Ive recently bought my first "actual" tank. 20gal and is in the cycling process atm. A buddy of mine (name shall not be named... yet :cool:) got me hooked a bit on this fish stuff and now im addicted to learning alot more. And as this as my starting tank im already looking to start getting bigger tanks because I know it would be alot more fun and alot alot alot more can be done. But for Now I have been doing alot of research on fish and what I would like to get, also visted a few LFS around the area. So.... Ive been quite intrested in Gouramis, now for the size of the tank I know I wont be able to get any of the normal sized Gouramis so I have been looking at the Honey Gouramis and Dwarfs. Now as I researched I found out that Honeys and Dwarfs can be quite diffrent in the community fish they swim with. Now I dont mind either, but if anyone could help me out with more information about each or which would be preferred would help out alot :) I am forward to learning alot more and will continue my research as my tank slowly cycles... :whistle: Once I decided which I will be getting Ill post a stock list to get one last adivce from anyone, but any suggestions of other fish would help as well for the list.

Thanks!

:welcome: to AA! :)

I've kept honey gold dwarf gouramis, all other DGs seem to not like me and like to be belly-up three months later...

You could do a pair of honey DGs in a twenty and then do two schoolers in there with some live plants, it'd look pretty cool :)

I have four dwarf's in my 20L with 10 neon tetras, 6 cories, and two platys. Plus a few plants. All of my gourami's are peaceful with the other fish, but gang up on one blue dwarf I have. I eventually had to remove him so if your planning on doing dwarf's, I would buy all of the same type. Also, I had two honey's in my 37 and they NEVER got along. It got so bad that one almost nipped off the others fins! Eventually I took one back.

:welcome: to AA! :)

I've kept honey gold dwarf gouramis, all other DGs seem to not like me and like to be belly-up three months later...

I have read about the DG on the forums and noticed that alot of people have had bad exp with them. So Im alittle worried about how they would do. I don't plan of having a fish if its only going to only last a few months or weeks... But still who knows how well it could go (possibly a try in a future tank?) I am intrested in the Honeys very well but alot of what ive seen say not to have more than one unless its a group. But im hoping that one Honey would do well with a few schools, like tetras or danios, as well as getting a school of Corys.

Anyone have any suggestions on tetras? It seems like the Honeys like smaller fish with them, or is this just a idea im getting?
(still researching I am still a bit of a noob)

I have four dwarf's in my 20L with 10 neon tetras, 6 cories, and two platys. Plus a few plants. All of my gourami's are peaceful with the other fish, but gang up on one blue dwarf I have. I eventually had to remove him so if your planning on doing dwarf's, I would buy all of the same type. Also, I had two honey's in my 37 and they NEVER got along. It got so bad that one almost nipped off the others fins! Eventually I took one back.

That's what im not hoping for if I had more than one DG, but I would stick with the same type. But with a 20gal I dont plan on really getting more than 1 due to space. But I would like to get some tetras and cories, but im curious on how the Gouramis deal with the size of the tetras or other fish. I do plan on getting my DG or Honey last, have everything settled down and running great for a few weeks.

I have a pearl gourami in my 20G. He's gorgeous. They get to be about 4" max so they are one of the gouramis that can be kept in a 20. I personally have never had any problems with DG, but if you get one from bad stock they will be very weak.
Honey dwarfs are smaller and more docile than a regular DG, so if you wanted to get some schools you may want to stick with a regular DG. The tetras will be less likely to nip at one.

I have a pearl gourami in my 20G. He's gorgeous. They get to be about 4" max so they are one of the gouramis that can be kept in a 20. I personally have never had any problems with DG, but if you get one from bad stock they will be very weak.
Honey dwarfs are smaller and more docile than a regular DG, so if you wanted to get some schools you may want to stick with a regular DG. The tetras will be less likely to nip at one.

I have seen the pearls alot and they are a great fish to have, but Im more leaning towards a Dwarf. I like they way they look and would be nice to have. But ill deffinetly keep a pearl in mind. :) Im going to check out the stocks around the area for the DG before I buy a day or so before and make sure they look healthly.

I have had flame dwarfs and to be honest they have much more personality than other guaramis. I would recommend a flame dwarf guarami and a school of maybe 9 or so silver tip tetras which are awesome fish and would bring out the color of you guarami insanely!!!!

I have had flame dwarfs and to be honest they have much more personality than other guaramis. I would recommend a flame dwarf guarami and a school of maybe 9 or so silver tip tetras which are awesome fish and would bring out the color of you guarami insanely!!!!

Ive been planing on a Flame lol. Well mostly, they deffintely have great color to them. Did not know they could have more personality than others lol.

Silver tip tetreas I have read are a smaller tetra... does this mean that if I got larger tetras (I know not too big due to tank size but not many tetras get that large anyway) would they be more likly to pick a fight or would they be okay?

Yessss I had two in my 20 gallon tall even though I wouldn't do it again but the larger one always picked on the smaller and then the smaller one got big and started to get some well deserved revenge hehe
if you get a nice size school of atleast 6-7 tetras they should be fine but I would get a max of 12 if it's only them and the fdg as for larger tetras be careful largers tend to have nippy sides but some don't at all like A grOup of 5-6 bloodfin tetras

Yessss I had two in my 20 gallon tall even though I wouldn't do it again but the larger one always picked on the smaller and then the smaller one got big and started to get some well deserved revenge hehe
if you get a nice size school of atleast 6-7 tetras they should be fine but I would get a max of 12 if it's only them and the fdg

lol thats great haha, but I dont plan on getting more than one DG unless it really gets lonely but before that Id deffintely plan on having a bigger tank and/or extra one. I do plan on about 6 tetras for now because I would like to get some Cories for the tank they seem really cool. This cycle needs to hurry up lol. :lol:

lol thats great haha, but I dont plan on getting more than one DG unless it really gets lonely but before that Id deffintely plan on having a bigger tank and/or extra one. I do plan on about 6 tetras for now because I would like to get some Cories for the tank they seem really cool. This cycle needs to hurry up lol. :lol:

Hahaha yes I loveeee my cories I seem to be able to help you out with this quite a bit, what type of cories are you getting? I have 2 albinos and 1 green emerald that are the tightest trio ever
and vets in my tank :)

Hahaha yes I loveeee my cories I seem to be able to help you out with this quite a bit, what type of cories are you getting? I have 2 albinos and 1 green emerald that are the tightest trio ever
and vets in my tank :)

Im not sure but I really really would like to get some. I have seen the greens at a LFS around here and they looked pretty cool. So I only plan on getting a pair or trio to chill together. Only thing is not sure how well they will do in a 20gal. So im iffy on it, do you know of any that would be suitable for it? I deffintely would like to get some, ive noticed though that alot or some dont get over 4"... yet not positive if this is correct.

Im not sure but I really really would like to get some. I have seen the greens at a LFS around here and they looked pretty cool. So I only plan on getting a pair or trio to chill together. Only thing is not sure how well they will do in a 20gal. So im iffy on it, do you know of any that would be suitable for it? I deffintely would like to get some, ive noticed though that alot or some dont get over 4"... yet not positive if this is correct.

Get a trio of greens they work best in trios in my opinion if they are in small groups because they always stay together and if one strays of the others are together and searching for him plus if there's only 3 they have to get along :) even though my trio is adorable to watch

Ya pygmy corys would be perfect and you could get more

I have seen these online and they are really small I would be able to get a few more. I gotta check them out at the store. :)

Get a trio of greens they work best in trios in my opinion if they are in small groups because they always stay together and if one strays of the others are together and searching for him plus if there's only 3 they have to get along :) even though my trio is adorable to watch

Yeah I really liked the greens, I see what your saying about the 3 of them. I might cut down on a couple tetras (depending on the type) and get a 4th. Don't believe it would matter if its a odd number or not lol.

You could do sparkling gouramis. :) a bit different from your prior mentioned species. But they are awesome. They croak an have alot of personality. I had 4 in a 29 a while back. They stay small too.

You could do sparkling gouramis. :) a bit different from your prior mentioned species. But they are awesome. They croak an have alot of personality. I had 4 in a 29 a while back. They stay small too.

Yeah Ive seen these online, this croaking thing is interesting lol. I might have to see if i can find some at a LFS and check them out. :)

Back
Top Bottom