Stocking a 40g breeder...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HairlessPotter said:
There were no aggression issues and I just sold the bichir when it got close to 10 in. which took a while. It mostly ate shrimp pellets, never harmed any fish at that size

Unfortunate you had to sell him though

Gboy66 said:
Unfortunate you had to sell him though
True. I'd originally planned on getting a larger tank but thats taking longer then I thought. I'm just happy I found a good buyer with a 125gal tank.

HairlessPotter said:
True. I'd originally planned on getting a larger tank but thats taking longer then I thought. I'm just happy I found a good buyer with a 125gal tank.

You should visit him sometime...see how big he is. So, op, what are you thinking so far?

A Senegal in a 40g breeder would be fine. It's about the floor space. You wouldn't want to go any smaller but it'll be fine. It'll be able to stretch out any which way. You wouldn't want to add a bunch of fish, but you could definitely have just the one Bichir. And although Senegals may get a little larger than the other Bichirs, they are more okay with less space. But they aren't the biggest, they are like 8-12 inches?

I believe the senegal goes under the dinosaur moniker too. I think he may do well in the tank however as he would be a juvenile, what could I stock with him?

I don't recommend tiger barbs just from my experience, they will nip any fishes fins and at least try to beat up any newly introduced fish. You can put the bichir with anything over a couple inches, as long as it cant eat them. Its not an aggressive fish but will sneak up on small fish at night. The only fish mine ever ate were ottos and I even have a bn pleco that was about 1 maybe 1 1/2 inches and he did fine with it. Doesn't seem to bother plecos at all

The birchir in a 40 will be tight. Realize that. Its max size is 10-14 inches so it has the possibility of outgrowing your tank. It is ONLY possible bec your tank is a breeder but i still would never do it. Youll have to keep bigger fish with it, as it outgrows its tank, it could get alot more territorial even though theyr peaceful fish

HairlessPotter said:
I don't recommend tiger barbs just from my experience, they will nip any fishes fins and at least try to beat up any newly introduced fish. You can put the bichir with anything over a couple inches, as long as it cant eat them. Its not an aggressive fish but will sneak up on small fish at night. The only fish mine ever ate were ottos and I even have a bn pleco that was about 1 maybe 1 1/2 inches and he did fine with it. Doesn't seem to bother plecos at all

Very true about the sneaking up at night thing. The Bichir is nocturnal, so while most fish sleep he is swimming around awake and hungry. But I do say go even larger with your fish you put with him, since my bros 4-5inch Bichir ate his like 2.5 inch fish.

Back
Top Bottom