Stocking a 40g breeder...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Dunno what to stock. Last tank for sometime...so im not sure :( id love one large fish. Or mbunas but im afraid my tank is small. Planted is also an option...duuno. I dont care for goldfish, platties, mollies, or swords of any kind...so. Any suggestions?

You could go with an african river theme, with African butterfly fish, leopard Ctenopoma, kribs, synodontis, maybe a small bichir, and an African brown knife. If you go bigger, you could get a nice school of Congo tetras.

Consider a Barb Tank ... there's a few species you can find at practically any LFS and they come in various colors, shapes and sizes. Depending on the type of Barb, you could stock between 12 - 20 of the smaller (1.5 - 2.5in) species.

You could consider 8 TigerBarbs ... which include the Albino Tiger and
Green Tiger barbs. All three color variants are the same species.
If you want to add some more color, Male BlackRuby Barbs turn a great red (head) and jetblack (body) color during breeding. Both of these species grow to 2.5inch on average.

Another colorful species are Odessa Barbs (4inches) which get a red stripe (male) down the side.

All three of these species do fine together and are very energetic.

You could do an Asian or South American biotope tank. There's also the micro-fish setup.
If it were a South American biotope, I'd say:
-pair of cichlids, whether it be GBRs, apistos, keyholes, angels, or any other
-a school of tetras, I'd say one that's normal-shaped like cardinals or black neons, and another more square-like, for example bloodfin or bleeding hearts,
-a school of six or so hatchetfish
-six or so cories of your preference
-and perhaps a trio of otos or a BN pleco

If it were an Asian biotope:
-a pair of some of the more docile bettas, ex. betta albarainga, betta cocina,
-a school of harlequin rasboras would look nice,
-some khuli loaches for the bottom,
-a school of cherry barbs,
-and perhaps (though I'm not sure), you could do a SAE, although feel free to correct me on that anyone.

Microfish are small and you can have more, I like them personally.
You could do:
-a school of espei rasboras or chilli rasboras
-a pair of dwarf pencilfish or sparkling gouramis
-a breeding group of endler's livebearers
-and perhaps a lot of inverts

Or you could try the species only tanks. You mentioned mbuna, I think (but don't know for sure) you could do a breeding group of one male to three or four females.
There's also the option for dwarf puffers, you could do around four or five in there provided it's heavily planted.

Just ideas. Good luck! :)

If you go planted, a pair of Spotted Climbing Perches would be an option. Marbled Headstanders are fun, but will eat all your plants so I wouldn't get them if you go planted.

You could go Brackish, some really neat fish to be had there.

IMO, find something unique and fun :)

If you want just one fish, I would say go for a Bichir! My brother jet got one (Senegal Bichir) and it's amazing! They seriously look like dinosaurs and alligators and etc... lol! Your tank size should be fine for it. They really are a neat fish to watch! Especially you are able to feed it the live fish, my brother I'd currently using the guppies he had been breeding!

So far I like bichirs a lot...aren't they aggressive? Could I house other fish in a 40g with the bichir? What do they need as far as food and decor? Live food isn't an option because my lfs is far. As for decor I have a ton of rive rock from my old cichlid tank.

They will eat other fish that are smaller than them for sure, but from what I've read they won't eat fish that are larger in size. Like most things it probably depends on the specific fish, but depending on what else you were considering I'm sure you could find something.

Just found this:

"You can keep your Bichir with non-aggressive species as long as they are too large for the Bichir to swallow. Suitable species include Siamese Tigerfish, Knifefish and large Barbs. You can also keep several Bichirs together. They might fight a little over the food when you feed them, but they will generally tolerate each other very well. All the Bichirs should be of roughly the same size, and you must of course have a large aquarium if you want to keep several Bichirs together. Do not keep your Bichir with suckermouth catfish, since suckermouths are found of sucking on Bichirs which will make the Bichir very stressed and irritated. Also avoid all aggressive species, such as large cichlids and snakeheads. "

I don't know if your tank is large enough for several Bichirs, though, but you could try the other larger fish for tank mates. =)

I think I'll do one bichir and about 6 tiger barbs. Could I get away with any more

ultimatedc said:
I think I'll do one bichir and about 6 tiger barbs. Could I get away with any more

No birchir. They need at least a 75 g as they can get over a foot long. Not sure of any smaller types but the ones i know wont fit in a 40. Id say, an angel or 2, a bottom feeder like cories, a bn pleco, a school of large tetras and maybe some hatchets

Not even despite a large surface area? Seems reasonable with diligent wcs and good filtration.

I wouldn't do it. You're looking at ~12" for the smaller types, 18+" for the larger, and those Barbs would eventually become a snack. I'm sure you could keep one in that small of a tank if you wanted to, but I personally couldn't condone keeping such a potentially large and active fish in a space like that.

ultimatedc said:
So far I like bichirs a lot...aren't they aggressive? Could I house other fish in a 40g with the bichir? What do they need as far as food and decor? Live food isn't an option because my lfs is far. As for decor I have a ton of rive rock from my old cichlid tank.

I had a 9 inch senegal bichir with 5 tiger barbs and a clown and bn pleco in a 40 breeder, loved it.

HairlessPotter said:
I had a 9 inch senegal bichir with 5 tiger barbs and a clown and bn pleco in a 40 breeder, loved it.

Well then you didnt do your research and are lucky it worked.

well I guess the dinosaurs out. sucks to because my apartment would make me put a 300 deposit on a tank over 55 gallons. A community seema boring I want 1 really large fish and possibly some barbs. I have done way too many community tanks!

ultimatedc said:
well I guess the dinosaurs out. sucks to because my apartment would make me put a 300 deposit on a tank over 55 gallons. A community seema boring I want 1 really large fish and possibly some barbs. I have done way too many community tanks!

Well angels are large...you could get a puffer fish. I dont know much about them but they are aggressive

Gboy66 said:
Well then you didnt do your research and are lucky it worked.

There were no aggression issues and I just sold the bichir when it got close to 10 in. which took a while. It mostly ate shrimp pellets, never harmed any fish at that size

Back
Top Bottom