Stocking a Small Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanny

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone!

So now that my big tank is finally cycling I am looking at another tank. Lol. Ya, I got the bug.

A friend gave me a 15g long tank and a coworker is giving me a 10g complete set up. I'm going to set up one as a qt tank but I'd like to set up the other in my kitchen. What I'm wondering is what fw fish do well in a small tank? I want low waste fish so that I don't have to do pwc more than once a week. Also would be nice to have more than just 1 or 2 in there. I'm still a learning newbie so easy to keep would be good too.

I was thinking cherry barbs? Or rasboras? Or could I do a betta tank? Not a good idea to keep females with a males full time though right?

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

So now that my big tank is finally cycling I am looking at another tank. Lol. Ya, I got the bug.

A friend gave me a 15g long tank and a coworker is giving me a 10g complete set up. I'm going to set up one as a qt tank but I'd like to set up the other in my kitchen. What I'm wondering is what fw fish do well in a small tank? I want low waste fish so that I don't have to do pwc more than once a week. Also would be nice to have more than just 1 or 2 in there. I'm still a learning newbie so easy to keep would be good too.

I was thinking cherry barbs? Or rasboras? Or could I do a betta tank? Not a good idea to keep females with a males full time though right?

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
I adore nano freshwater! I am your man on this one lol Here is what I suggest:
Ember tetras
scarlet badis (or any of its similar sized cousins)
hasbrous cories
Chilli rasboras
any microrasbora
endlers
shrimp
snails
and more

If you were interested you could do 6 ember tetras, 6 habrous (sp) cories, 2 scarlet badis, amd shrimp and snails in the 15 long. Go with lots of plants to keep trates down and keep water changes ton a minimum. Pothos vine roots hanging in a tank really really cut down on trates.
I have a 26 bow that is my nano tank and I love it. You really are going to love this tank!

GodFan said:
I adore nano freshwater! I am your man on this one lol Here is what I suggest:
Ember tetras
scarlet badis (or any of its similar sized cousins)
hasbrous cories
Chilli rasboras
any microrasbora
endlers
shrimp
snails
and more

If you were interested you could do 6 ember tetras, 6 habrous (sp) cories, 2 scarlet badis, amd shrimp and snails in the 15 long. Go with lots of plants to keep trates down and keep water changes ton a minimum. Pothos vine roots hanging in a tank really really cut down on trates.
I have a 26 bow that is my nano tank and I love it. You really are going to love this tank!

Thanks GodFan! This was just the kind of info I was looking for!

I really like the look of the Scarlet Badis, Chili Rasboras and Hasbrous Cories. What kind of combo would work best with those three?

I have no experience or knowledge of plants. Do I have to run some kind of CO2 equipment?

Thanks again for the advice!

Scarlet Badis are shy. I love mine, but he hides if he gets startled.

Live plants don't have to have CO2 as long as you are staying in the Low to Medium Light range.

There are good stickies on the AA Planted Tank forum.

You can start with Anubias, Java Ferns and Java Moss.

There is a lot of info in the Freshwater>Planted Tank and Invert section

Scarlet Badis are shy. I love mine, but he hides if he gets startled.

Live plants don't have to have CO2 as long as you are staying in the Low to Medium Light range.

There are good stickies on the AA Planted Tank forum.

You can start with Anubias, Java Ferns and Java Moss.

There is a lot of info in the Freshwater>Planted Tank and Invert section

Thanks for the advice! I'll start looking at that forum too!

Thanks GodFan! This was just the kind of info I was looking for!

I really like the look of the Scarlet Badis, Chili Rasboras and Hasbrous Cories. What kind of combo would work best with those three?

I have no experience or knowledge of plants. Do I have to run some kind of CO2 equipment?

Thanks again for the advice!
No problem! You can pay me back with pictures :)
I would recommend 2-4 scarlets (male female pairs if possible) 6 cories and 6 chillis.
Get low maintenance plants and no co2 is needed. Java ferns, wisteria, water sprite, anubias, crypts, and Christmas moss are great beginner plants with virtually no upkeep.

Coursair said:
One of my favorite Nano fish are my Celestial Pearl Danios. CPDs are like tiny Trout.

Are those ever cool looking fish! I don't think I have ever seen them at my lfs, are they common?

Tank is too small for glowfish. They need a 20 gallon at least because they are very active.

Boooo! I found out that you can't use a tank for fish if it ever housed rodents or bugs. The 15g had gerbils and stick bugs in it. So I'm picking up the 10g tomorrow. I'll have to ask if it has only housed fish.

Boooo! I found out that you can't use a tank for fish if it ever housed rodents or bugs. The 15g had gerbils and stick bugs in it. So I'm picking up the 10g tomorrow. I'll have to ask if it has only housed fish.
It should be ok if it holds water. Just use a diluted bleach solution on it and then let it dry. Test it with a few feeder guppies first then move on to the other fish!

Shanny said:

Not true. A good cleaning and make sure it holds water.

I agree, after a proper cleaning, you can still use that tank.

Well that's good to hear! I read in another thread the the urine never comes out of the silicone so you can't use it for fish anymore.

Went to my lfs (1.5 hrs away) today. They don't stock any of the fish I was looking for. I have to wait till my big tank finishes cycling anyways so maybe different stock will come in by then.

Back
Top Bottom