Stocking for 40 breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have been doing a lot of research and trying to figure out exactly what will work in my tank. It will be heavily planted and have some windy driftwood for hiding spots. This is what I'm thinking right now:

3 German Blue Rams - Blue or Yellow I'm not sure yet
2 Marble Veil Angelfish
2 Badis Badis
8 Neon Tetras

I would really like a Pleco of some sort, maybe a Snowball Pleco (L-102)

Would this be a good stock for my tank?

I would only get two GBRs and probably through out the badis badis because they like cooler waters.

angelfish and neons aren't exactly the best combo - The angelfish may eat them.
Choose a larger tetra e.g. Bleeding heart tetra

Also, i'd recommend a pair of German blue rams, rather than three.

Neons won't necessarily get eaten but that is definitely a chance they will. You can try keeping adult neons, adding small young angels last. This lessens the chance of them getting eaten as the angels view them as tankmates and not food.

Yeah I've read the same thing about adult neons first, then very small angles. I guess We'll see what happens. As for the GBR should I just bump it to 4 instead of three?

Cardinal tetras would be a better choice than neons because they get a bit bigger but look mostly the same. They may still be eaten, but there are more likely to survive than neons. I have never kept badi badis before.
Another pleco option is the pitbull pleco. They stay small, like groups, are top-notch algae eaters, and are quite peaceful.
Personally, my vote would be for the gold rams because it would give you a lot of different colors in the tank, but thats all obviously up to you.
Kuhli loaches are another option to go in your tank. They are super cute and eel-like. They only reach about 4 inches, like groups, and have a small bioload.

absolutangel04 said:
Cardinal tetras would be a better choice than neons because they get a bit bigger but look mostly the same. They may still be eaten, but there are more likely to survive than neons. I have never kept badi badis before.
Another pleco option is the pitbull pleco. They stay small, like groups, are top-notch algae eaters, and are quite peaceful.
Personally, my vote would be for the gold rams because it would give you a lot of different colors in the tank, but thats all obviously up to you.
Kuhli loaches are another option to go in your tank. They are super cute and eel-like. They only reach about 4 inches, like groups, and have a small bioload.

I thought the only difference between the cardinals and the neons was the color pattern. I'll look into them.

I really like the pitbull plecos but it seems they like cooler waters.

I like the yellow rams too. Maybe I can get a pair of yellow and a pair of blue rams?

I thought the only difference between the cardinals and the neons was the color pattern. I'll look into them.

I really like the pitbull plecos but it seems they like cooler waters.

I like the yellow rams too. Maybe I can get a pair of yellow and a pair of blue rams?
I keep pitbulls at about 78 degrees in my tropical community and they do great. They eat, swim, play, and such. The lfs I got them from also keep them at the standard tropical temperatures without an issue. The info I have on them suggests 68 to 78 degrees, but they do fine at the higher end of that spectrum and even a bit above it. As long as you acclimate them properly, they should be fine.

Might I also suggest cories :brows: I love those little buggers! But I think everyone is leading you in the right direction, just wanted to throw the cories in;)

AquaKai said:
Might I also suggest cories :brows: I love those little buggers! But I think everyone is leading you in the right direction, just wanted to throw the cories in;)

I don't really know too much about the cories, I'd have to look into them.

I found a smaller pleco that I really like, the green phantom pleco. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I don't really know too much about the cories, I'd have to look into them.

I found a smaller pleco that I really like, the green phantom pleco. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Corys are great. Depending on the species, they reach 1-3 inches, and want to be in groups of at 4, but 6 is better. They are peaceful and very active. They are great little scavengers and will eat most things that reaches the bottom: flakes, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, ect. Some of the common species are the peppered, bronze, albino, and emerald (3 inches) as well as the juhlii and panda (2 inches). There are also several species of pygmy corys that only get to be about an inch.
Never had a green phantom pleco. They are really expensive around here.

Back
Top Bottom